Sunfish Sail

Sunfish65

Hi,

Just considering a new sail for my late 60's sunfish. Is the Neil Pryde sail larger than the intensity sail? The NP sail has a measurement of 84.75 sqft. Does anyone know the size of the Intensity sail?

Sunfish65

I 'sort of' agree with Matias.

If you want a more powerful sail with a decent window, go with the (white) Intensity 'race' version. But if you are a casual sailor and insist on a colored sail, Neil Pryde will fit the bill. The windows on the Neil Pryde sails are too small though and difficult to see through.

PS: if you use the Search function (in the upper bar), you will find other threads on this topic.

I just finished making a Sunfish sail from a Sailrite kit. Yes, I know it's NOT class legal; but it works just great for me in the "Just for Fun" class. It has a nice shape (definitely not flat),quality 4 oz. Dacron sail cloth, and I got to choose the color for each of the 6 panels. It's not the cheapest path to a new sail (much cheaper if you like plain white) but it was a great learning experience working with the designer folks at Sailrite. I also got a ton of satisfaction knowing that I made it myself. I'm already working on a design for my next Sunfish sail.....taking my inspiration from the Texas flag.

You might want to skip this option of a sail kit if you are not confident with your sewing skills. For me it was no problem because I've been sewing and quilting since I was 6 years old (now 57). I finished mine in about three sessions of 2 hours.

First - sail kit arrives......
Then - unpack all the pieces....
Use special basting tape on seams.....
Sew it together, add luff and foot tape.....
Install grommets
Hoist the sail - YIPPEE!!!! IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Hi,

Just considering a new sail for my late 60's sunfish. Is the Neil Pryde sail larger than the intensity sail? The NP sail has a measurement of 84.75 sqft. Does anyone know the size of the Intensity sail?

Sunfish65

after all these explanations...
what kind of sail are you buying?

Thanks to everyone. I think I will buy the intensity sail. It has a proper window, and is almost identical to the North Sail. Just hope it is as durable as the Neil Pryde.

Sunfish65

it is very durable
a friend of mine has the intensity sail and uses it every weekend
here where I sail we have very strong winds ussually over 18kts
and the sail is still looking like new he has it since january 2009 almost 2 years and it is still crispy

How much did the "sail kit" cost, and where did you get it. I got the intencsty sail 2 years ago, I was very happy with it but I left it on the water all spring and summer, and the sun has caused it to start breaking down. I know this is my fault, and not the quallity of the sail. For the money I still think the intensity sail was a good value. I won't make the same mistake next year.

My sail kit from Sailrite.com cost $326.21 for 4 colors. This price included thread, grommets, basting tape, foot & luff tape, design fee, and shipping. I think you can get a white one for $190.00 plus shipping. Their stock colors cost $14.95 per yard and white only costs $9.50 per yard. Check out their web site for great free streaming videos......instructions for all kinds of DIY projects (sailing/boat related). Lots of learning opportunities. I found it most interesting to watch the video of the Sailrite loft where they use a huge flat bed printer/plotter to cut out sails with a very precise laser cutter......all computer driven. They even sent me the scraps from cutting out my sail so that I can do patches/repairs in the future.

My sail kit from Sailrite.com cost $326.21 for 4 colors. This price included thread, grommets, basting tape, foot & luff tape, design fee, and shipping. I think you can get a white one for $190.00 plus shipping. Their stock colors cost $14.95 per yard and white only costs $9.50 per yard. Check out their web site for great free streaming videos......instructions for all kinds of DIY projects (sailing/boat related). Lots of learning opportunities. I found it most interesting to watch the video of the Sailrite loft where they use a huge flat bed printer/plotter to cut out sails with a very precise laser cutter......all computer driven. They even sent me the scraps from cutting out my sail so that I can do patches/repairs in the future.

Nice kit and work. You should be proud. A bit pricey but then you got to pick your colors, so it is worth it.

YES, "A bit pricey". But I talked myself into to it saying, "there's at least $100 worth of value in the education alone....." I've paid that much for some quilting classes that I didn't learn as much as I did on this first sail project. Good education and quality materials always seem to come at a cost. And for me I must add the following: `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in (with) boats. Later from this Gator.

YES, "A bit pricey". But I talked myself into to it saying, "there's at least $100 worth of value in the education alone....." I've paid that much for some quilting classes that I didn't learn as much as I did on this first sail project. Good education and quality materials always seem to come at a cost. And for me I must add the following: `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in (with) boats. Later from this Gator.

I agree completely. Even if you gave the sail away, developing the skill is worth the whole price of the sail. Frankly, I'm a bit jealous. I've often thought about becoming a sail maker, just to learn more about it.

Back