SUNFISH Hull Thickness

miquelkumar

What is the maximum thickness of a Sunfish hull? I'm planning on storing a sunfish under the trusses in my garage and need to make sure it will fit between the bottom chord and the garage door.

Thanks for your time and reply.
Mike

I don't know, but simply balance the boat on its side and use large framing square to mark the thickness of the hull at the keel and deck. Make some lines on the ground, measure the distance and add several inches to make sure the hull will clear the door
when lashed to the underside of the garage roof trusses. Consider using wide web straps to avoid distorting the hull - do not use the bow handle or the mainsheet bridle to support the hull - neither fitting is strong enough especially on an older boat with
internal wood back-up plates and wood screws.

Alan Glos

Probably could come close by sticking a measuring tape in the daggerboard trunk, taking that distance, then add the height of the splashrail. BB

I don't know, but simply balance the boat on its side and use large framing square to mark the thickness of the hull at the keel and deck. Make some lines on the ground, measure the distance and add several inches to make sure the hull will clear the door
when lashed to the underside of the garage roof trusses. Consider using wide web straps to avoid distorting the hull - do not use the bow handle or the mainsheet bridle to support the hull - neither fitting is strong enough especially on an older boat with
internal wood back-up plates and wood screws.

Alan Glos

I actually don't have a boat to take measurements.

Mike

Probably could come close by sticking a measuring tape in the daggerboard trunk, taking that distance, then add the height of the splashrail. BB

Just measured our 1984 boat. Hull is 13 3/4 inches plus 3 1/4 inches for the splashguard, so 17 inches. I'd add several inches for slop.

If you have less room than that, you need a wooden Sunfish or Super Sailfish....and I can set you up! :)

Zsa Zsa and Chip.jpg

Thanks for the reply and dimensions. Looks like there's a good woodworking project or some good firewood there on the rack.
Looks like it will fit above the garage. If not I've decided to give up my parking space and park my car outside despite the lousy weather here in San Diego. It actually rains here occasionally. At least it use too.

Back