Sunfish Design

It depends on your experience, what you weigh, and the point of sail. I weigh 175 and am overpowered in above 20 kts going to weather, but it sure is fun at 25 on a reach :) .

The operative word in your question is 'effectively." With a big, strong, skilled skipper, a Sunfish can survive winds in the mid- to high- 30 mph range, but high teens and low to mid 20's is about it for controlled, effective Sunfish sailing. A well set up Jens rig (see FAQ) will allow a lighter skipper to sail effectiveky in higher winds. Also, the Sunfish starts to break down (bent spars, fittings ripping out, rudder/tiller failure) is 35+mph conditions.

That said, sailing a Sunfish once in a while in survival conditions is a fine madness and great fun.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Playing the gooseneck, you can still survive in 35 knots of true wind speed. If you are too heavy, you might break the mast going upwind.

Maxi Jens, gooseneck all the way back and full vang may allow you to keep the performance of the boat during the upwind leg.

F7

A few friends of mine and I race modified Sunfish with better hiking provisions. (but we don't advertise the fact, since we don't want to raise the eyebrows of the purists who think the original design is as sacred as the King James.) I've found that masts and mast sockets begin to break at about 30knts with the original sized sail if sailed too flat.

weather-beaten Sunfisher said:
A few friends of mine and I race modified Sunfish with better hiking provisions. (but we don't advertise the fact, since we don't want to raise the eyebrows of the purists who think the original design is as sacred as the King James.) I've found that masts and mast sockets begin to break at about 30knts with the original sized sail if sailed too flat.

Please tell us more. Even though I am a purist who thinks the orginal design is even more sacred than King James (bless his soul) I would be interested to hear how you have modified the boat to have "better hiking provisions."

The mind boggles. Are we talking sliding seats? Wings? Trapeze?

Ole Geez... I also race a class-legal Sunfish, and advocate keeping it a true "one design". The modified boat racing we do is mostly with old clunkers that would otherwise be retired from racing. It's an unwritten rule that boats which would be competitive in class-legal racing should not be modified. (Actually ALL of the rules are unwritten..... since we just race among ourselves.) I know, I know.... that doesn't absolve me from my heresy.

Anyway, about the hiking provisions: We tried trapezes and harnesses.... but found that they don't work on the Sunfish, since the mast is too far foreward, and too short. We also tried better hiking straps and hand-ropes like those used in flying Scotts. They do improve the situtation, but still require strong stomach muscles..... and since a few of us are in our late 40's, we abandonend that approach.

Right now, our little fleet uses two different set-ups: Short "wings" similar to the ones used on Moths, and movable hiking boards/seats like the ones used on 10 Meter Canoes. My own boat has wings that stick out 2 ft, and up 10 degrees. They are made in a single unit that sits over the cockpit, and clamps under the cockpit lip..... so they can be removed easily, and don't require any modifications to the hull, other than some simple reinforcement under the lip.

I use two sail rigs with this boat: A stock racing sail, and a larger 95 squ ft lug sail for light wind days..... and I use a longer aluminum daggerboard.

The performance increase with such a set-up, as compared to a stock boat, is impressive to say the least. BUT it's not something for everybody, or even the majority of Sunfishers..... sailing such a boat can get touchy at times, and it's not uncommon to bend or break spars. ( Most sailors would be better served sticking with the class-legal set-up. )

It IS a lot of fun, though! My own modified boat is painted with a White/Grey/Aqua/Blue Dazzle paint job...... and looks rather crazy when it's out on the water..... but it's VERY fast.

Cool. Do you have any pictures?

And where are you? It would be fun to have an open unrestricted Sunfish "anything goes" regatta one day. We could even allow digital compasses. ;)

I don't have any pics on this PC, but I've got a digicam. I'll take a few and post them over the week-end.

Our little fleet WAS situated in New Orleans.... but right now we're scattered out from Texas to Florida. I'm in Tampa, and getting ready to move back to the N.O. area. BUT..... I think it would be GREAT to have an open regatta, and possibly even expand the idea if folks were interested.

Back