Sunfish - 2 man crew placement?

javelin524

I have taken my sunfish out solo several times and gotton a good feel for the boat. Over the weekend my wife wanted to go out with me. It seemed incredibly awkward as to where each of us should sit. It was moderately windy, and she was not willing to let go of the cockpit to hike out. We basically sat accross from each other and one was always leaning in and the other out. Any suggestions?

Thats the way we have been doing it, across from each other, one slightly aft, one forward in the pit.
Tried this weekend with one near bow around the mast. I then have to sit in the middle and I find this more difficult to handle the tiller. Not sure how else to do it but would like to hear the "proper" way if there is one.

Both sit on the windward side with all feet in the well. If heeling, crew leans back; if flat, crew can sit more in center behind splash guard.
Never saw many sitting on both sides.

Fred

I have taken my sunfish out solo several times and gotton a good feel for the boat. Over the weekend my wife wanted to go out with me. It seemed incredibly awkward as to where each of us should sit. It was moderately windy, and she was not willing to let go of the cockpit to hike out. We basically sat accross from each other and one was always leaning in and the other out. Any suggestions?

Trial and error! As has been written, if the wind is up, both sit on the windward side. If the wind is down, one on each side, if that feels comfortable. Alternatively, one on the side and one on the bottom, but that limits the view of the person sitting low. You may also want to change position depending on whether the sail is in or out.

Bring a bottle of your favorite beverage to share, put it in the cubby, and don't let it go to waste :)....

I have had my wife with me and she sits at the fwd. end of the cockpit facing aft on the wind ward side of the dagger board that works best for us.

Back