Strange new sail which isn't Rooster 8.1

Thanks LQT4200 I can now see its not a Laser from the photos from above on the byte site. But it does look like a laser from the side. I knew someone this site would have the answer. Are Byte's fast?

Thanks LQT4200 I can now see its not a Laser from the photos from above on the byte site. But it does look like a laser from the side. I knew someone this site would have the answer. Are Byte's fast?

Bytes are basically 11' Laser Clones with a center traveler. Designed and built by no other then Bruce Kirby himself.....But due to waterline they are slower then Laser, CII is probably pretty fast though

I just read up on the Byte CII rig and sail plan. It looks like a great approach to the Laser's 'rig and sail' problem.

Then I looked at the price sheet. US$1700 for the two piece mast. US$700 for the sail. The sail is not bad considering what it is, it's the mast that will get you.

but you will end up buying far fewer masts after that initial purchase

I thought Ian Bruce designed the Byte?
Yup ---> see here

The Byte-CII is defintely to small for sailors like me (about 193 cm, 90+ kg's). And those Carbon Spars and such a Mylar sail, here at Europe, only really rich sailors or sponsored sailors are able to pay. {1,40 US-$ = 1 Euro !!! but all boat-parts (related to Laser or similar boats) that come to Europe from USA get the same price in Euro that they have in USA in US-$... F.e.: a folded Standard-mainsail from Hyde has a price of 577 Euros or more here}
The surely in future comming new Laser carbon upper-mast-segment for the Laser Radial does cost definitely more than 2x of that one that is made out of aluminum-alloy (that here costs: 166 Euro / 230 US-$ inkl. VAT, pickup: at the Laserstore), that's a price, a Laserite hurts, believe me...
In the past I thought, a "Mega-Byte" (the big brother of the Byte-CII) would be fine for me, but not only the price for such a (used) dinghy has been one of the reasons, I not changed to Mega-Byte (those boats are rare here and for me, it is boring to sail alone and not in a fleet from time to time).
One big advantage of the Mega-Byte: The durability of the Mega-Byte hull (especially: the mast tube / maststep) is very-very much more better than the durability of a Laser(- mast tube / - mast step, especially in relationship to the higher loads the 8.1 rigg does bring to the mast tube), I guess...

Ciao
LooserLu

Yup ---> see here
One big advantage of the Mega-Byte: The durability of the Mega-Byte hull (especially: the mast tube / maststep) is very-very much more better than the durability of a Laser(- mast tube / - mast step, especially in relationship to the higher loads the 8.1 rigg does bring to the mast tube), I guess...

In the press materials for the Byte, I also read how the designer had learned his lesson from the Laser, and used better layup schedule for the hull so that it will last longer.

Bytes are only faster the lasers in light winds. We can be them in the rest.

How much of this is class legal, is the rooster 8.1 class legal?

No. The 8.1 is a concept from Rooster sailing for larger sized sailors. Captain J are you a class member? If not, when you join you get a class rules book that tells you the do's and dont's of the class.

Back