storm prep

LR29289

i live in the New Orleans area, and we get hurricanes a couple times a year. It's gettin near the season, we already had a tropical storm. I noticed that after a major storm, out of Lasers lined up next to each other, some of them have barely moved, and some have floated to the other side of the yard and even down the bayou. And it doesnt seem to matter if they're on a trailer or a dolly. I was wondering, does something influence that, or is it just luck? and what can i do to keep my laser where it is?

rereading that i realized it sounded like we left our lasers at the dry dock for all our hurricanes. lol. we dont...when ever something big is coming we move them but hurricanes often switch direction at the last moment and with all the coastal erosion and land development going on, every season the impact of storms the same intensity is alot different.

I'd say the best, and maybe most obvious, place to keep your Laser out of a storms wrath is inside...If this is un-do-able, you may want to find something sufficiantly strong, i.e. a fence, and lash it to it while keeping a low profile so the wind does not simply use it as a sail. I guess low profile is the key and having something very strong to tie it to as well. I'm really not sure though as we dont get very many hurricanes up here in Massachusettes. ;)

well usually when were countin on a big storm we bring the boats home and lash them to something really sturdy (cement piling, etc.) because by the time the lines we used go (in a category five or something) i think most people have bigger worries (i.e. our houses blowing away)

alot of the people around here (including me) live in raised houses, and i dont even wanna try to carry a Laser up twenty steps. lol.

i talked to someone who said that after our last storm (just a little wind and three feet of water covering everything) some of the boats had sustained minor damage because during the storm they were just floating around, bumping into one another. So from now on, even when the storm doesnt warrant bringing them home, we're just gonna tie them to a tree or something so if we happen to get four feet of water the boats wont all float over the fence and into ppls yards. lol.

Back