storing sunny outside?

reds659

Reds659
Just wondering , after hearing about all of the gel coat cracking and mast step seperation, if storing my new 1999 sunfish outdoors for a N.J. winter is going to contribute or speed up any of these conditions? I will be covering some how but it will not be climate controlled. By the way what a great thread the one about suggesting to vanguard about making the boat stronger...

I doubt it. I live in NJ and have stored my 'fish outdoors under a tarp for 30 years with no ill effects. It does get used in the summer.

Fred

Reds659, here is a great write up on "winter storage" from one of our members here on the SF Forum and also on the SF Sailor Forum, John Howard (aka SuperCub).

Attachments

• Sunfish Winter Storage Tips by John Howard.pdf
    64.8 KB · Views: 97
I second the idea of storing it 'deck down' so that water will not get into the mast tube and freeze. This could be done by suspending the hull as mentioned, or on the trailer if the boat is positioned to distribute the pressure evenly. Be sure to have the boat as dry as possible, and as stated in the articles first two paragraphs, open so that air will circulate in the hull. If the boat is outside, 'tenting' can cause problems, as 'tenting' by placing objects on the hull puts pressure on a smaller area. If you are going to cover the hull, I wold think just placing a tarp on the hull and securing the tarp to the trailer or ground to prevent the tarp from wind damage would be best. With "tenting" you need air circulation under the boat to prevent sweating and mold growth.

what great feed back. Thanks for the ideas and experience. Real good article repete. Thanks for your thoughts scap and fred.

Back