Store on side

Settostun

There is a new storage trolley where you rest the boat on its side. It saves room but I wonder if anyone has any experience or thoughts on problems from storing a Laser on its side !

There is a new storage trolley where you rest the boat on its side. It saves room but I wonder if anyone has any experience or thoughts on problems from storing a Laser on its side !

I've seen a couple setups this way, including someone who had designed a system by which he could hang his laser outside on a fence, suppporting it by it's side. We're told the gunwales are the strongest part of the boat and the boat itself isnt extremely heavy. I'd make the case that it's better to store it that way than on its hull on a set of trailer bunks.

Hung from the gunwales and right side up...promotes sagging of the hull which makes the hull more convex and thereefore stiffer.

Upside down...Nice for teh hull compared tom sitting on improperly designed bunks but allows the hull between the centerboard trunk and boat side to sag and flatten ..that loss of a convex area of laminate makes the boat soft and slow.

On side... The gunwale is pretty much indestructable. Even of the boat were sotred on its side on a concrete floor...I doub';t there would be any ill results.

In transom gunwale. prety great way to store...Make certain the back lower edge of the hull is not supporting anything as the hull immediately in front of the transom is not particularly strong. Any deflection of the hull by scrunching the transom into the hull would be bad for performance.

at some kids house: if you didn't sail your boat last year..give it to a kid.

Upside down...Nice for teh hull compared tom sitting on improperly designed bunks but allows the hull between the centerboard trunk and boat side to sag and flatten ..that loss of a convex area of laminate makes the boat soft and slow.

Really?

How is anyone able to know that?

Back