Still too light

Chuoui

From what I've seen most everyone is complaning about being too light or too heavy for the laser. Does anyone have any advice on what they did to get up to weight?

Thanks
-Eric

This is what worked for me:
http://koti.welho.com/jmurto2/mass.htm

I gained about 1kg per month with this method. Some of it was
fat of course but it soon desolved when I stopped the weight program
and the necessary excessive eating. Muscle remained.
Right nutrition is about 75% of mass increase and the rest is about training right.

Jukka

That doesn't seem like enough work for me. I do crew (rowing)and our coach makes us work out alot. We run 3 miles for a warm up (about45 min.) and then go into the weight room. Find your max weight and take 2 bars off, usually about 20 lbs. Doing this gives you strength but not enough mass for your purposes. For you run like I said but do alot of repititions with light weights. It will burn fat and build more muscle than sheer strength. Also, the work scheduele (sp) should be 2 days on, 1 day off. Sleep alot on the day off (I do that everyday anyway;). Also try to eat as much protein as you can,.

i don't really have access to a weight room. what are some good weight gaining exercises/techniques without machines? also, what kind of food should i eat to help me gain weight? i don't gain very easily, but i need to b/c i am rather light and have trouble holding the boat down on windy days. thanks.

Any workout that uses the target muscles with alot of light weights. One good one for you upperbody is hold a bag of dogfood while doing situps, or just ALOT of situps. Also anything that weighs about 10-15 lbs is good for curls. One good weight exersise is lie down on a couch with about a 8-12lb weight and go from it on the floor and go to vertical. Do this facing up and facing down.

Chuoui said:
From what I've seen most everyone is complaning about being too light or too heavy for the laser. Does anyone have any advice on what they did to get up to weight?

Thanks
-Eric
Eric, you don't say how old you are, but drinking beer always packs on the pounds for me, whether I want them or not. If you are too young to drink--lots and lots of carbs combined with fat will add the weight--fat weight. If you want muscle with it, try the Iowa Sailing Club website http://www.uiowa.edu/~sail/. Click on "library" and check out the "hiking exercises." They claim you can get fit to sail in just a few weeks with their program with stuff that you can do at home without equipment.

Merrily

Chuoui said:
not much, balancing on 130lbs
Wow, that's barely enough for the Radial. Are you a youth or older? If you are an adult, maybe you should just sail the Radial. Just my two cents.

Merrily

Wow, That is a great site, just went through the workout in my living room! I am going to print that one out tomorrow!

If you want muscle with it, try the Iowa Sailing Club website http://www.uiowa.edu/~sail/. Click on "library" and check out the "hiking exercises." They claim you can get fit to sail in just a few weeks with their program with stuff that you can do at home without equipment.

Merrily[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the ideal weight is - can someone tell me? I also don't use lbs, i use kilos. I sail radials and weigh 55kgs. I want to know whether I need to get my weight up.

55 kilos x 2.2 kilos/pound = 121 pounds.

I'm about 130 and sail a Radial. Although I'me very athletic, I still find it extremely difficult to manage even the Radial when it gets above 18 knts. I can handle 15, but that's when I'm hiking my butt off! On the off season I've been doing lots of training though, so we'll see how it pays off over these next few months.

im like 120 and sail a radial, never really sailed in anything over 20 but ive had some times when i couldnt keep it flat at all, but last year (first year i got into lasers) if it was ever windy i would just go out in a 420 cuz i was on the racing team

For me it was 505 weight. but same thing and advice.

BEER !!

(and the good stuff, not that cheap American dribble)

And vegitating

What the ideal weight for a Laser? I thought I heard somewhere about 180lbs. I'll be sailing in 10-20. Plan on getting a 4.7 rig for when its really hootin' out.

Chuoui said:

Thanks
-Eric

The key is eating lots of protien, and going to do weights every day, balanced with the odd 40 minute fast (aim to be going 30 km/h on the flat) bikes (to keep up your sailing fitness). but an easy way to get the extra protien and food it so eat protien bars and protien powder, praticulairly the powder after you work out. ive done different things on and off, and i find the eating and going to the gym have worked, i went from 130ibs (58kg) to 145ibs (66kg) , but more from the last few months by doing this.

Back