Sticky goo problem

motomagik

Hi All,
I bought a '76 Laser earlier this fall, and the guy I bought it from had covered up the damaged parts along the edges with some lovely white duct tape. Anyways I pulled the tape off and of course there is a large chunk taken out of the bow, some smaller chips/dings along the rails and some spots where the hull/deck is seperating just a little. I want to do some repairs and fix these areas, but it was quite a chore getting the tape off, and in many parts it didn't really come off, it left the fibers of the tape and a nasty gooey mess. Any advice for getting off the yuck? Is there a good adhesive remover that might work? Thanks for any ideas!

Acetone will do the trick and won't hurt the gel coat. Wear protective gloves.

Hi All,
I bought a '76 Laser earlier this fall, and the guy I bought it from had covered up the damaged parts along the edges with some lovely white duct tape. Anyways I pulled the tape off and of course there is a large chunk taken out of the bow, some smaller chips/dings along the rails and some spots where the hull/deck is seperating just a little. I want to do some repairs and fix these areas, but it was quite a chore getting the tape off, and in many parts it didn't really come off, it left the fibers of the tape and a nasty gooey mess. Any advice for getting off the yuck? Is there a good adhesive remover that might work? Thanks for any ideas!

Hi All,
it left the fibers of the tape and a nasty gooey mess. Any advice for getting off the yuck? Is there a good adhesive remover that might work? Thanks for any ideas!

The least toxic should always be tried first so I will list in that order.

1. Waterless hand cleaner. Gojo is one brand. Soak it. Let it sit. Lots of rubbing with a sturdy cloth and GoJO will usually get the duct tape residue off.
1. ( sorry don't know which is more toxic) Isopropyl alcohol. The 90% stuff is sold in quqarts at most drug stores for about $2 and there are many things that srtuf will remove.

2. XYLOL (also sold as XYLENE) One is the liquid and the other is the name of the molecule. it will not harm teh gelcoat and it evasporates very slowly. SAoak a rag to teh point where it drips and slop it over teh old glue. eWaiut a while and gently scrape away teh m uck with a wood or soft plastic scraper. Then rinse a few times, wash with the hand cleaner and then with regular detergent.

3. The following all work and won't harm the gelcoat but you really need to keep them off your skin and never ever sniff them:
Acetone, acetate, Toluene, MEK, lacquer thinner.

Each one is very likely to soften or solve the glue.

4. Interlux 202 solvent wash. That crap will not only remove the glue it will leave your boat so it stinks for a month. The manufacturer recommends we wash hulls with that stuff before every application of paint. Screw them. I have used teh stuff about ten times in teh last twenty five years and just thinking about it makes me smell it. I bnet it penetragtes your body through your skin as well as yolur lungs. I wouls rahter suggest you sand off the old glue and then polish the damaged surface back to shiny than tell anybody to go near that crap.

About following the directions and using 202 before application of Interlux paints??? I would rather void the warranty and redo any paint jobs that peel with my own money than fry my precious few brain cells and die sooner than necessary.

The reason to learn to sail?? More than any other reason?? So you can always know where upwind is and live on that side of stink.

Please be careful with these cleaners and remember to consult qualified professionals when dealing with industrial strength solvents.

I feel like the lawyers should make an appearance:
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE LASER FORUM BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO THE USE OF INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THIS WEBSITE.
OK... continue on. :D

I've been converted - I used to use Acetone for this and removing sail # residue when changing #'s but now using Goo Gone. Goo Gone is 100% organic, no solvents, no where near as harmful to you as Acetone and the other industrial solvents. (unless you happen to drink it or get it in your eyes), has no effect on dacron sail cloth

In my expierence Goo Gone works faster with less effort. I like that.

And FWIW, Acetone will soften/dissolve Gelcoat if left on long enough

About following the directions and using 202 before application of Interlux paints??? I would rather void the warranty and redo any paint jobs that peel with my own money than fry my precious few brain cells and die sooner than necessary.

You don't use an industrial face mask thingy? No wonder your typing is sometimes erratic.

OK, I stand chided on the acetone recommendation. I'll get me some Goo gone stuff.

3M Adhesive Remover (spray or liquid) works real well too. Usually can find it at an Auto Parts place or a well stocked marine store. Also for anyone buying a brand spanky new boat use the 3M AR for taking the mold release wax off the hull, because it is slowwwww if you don't

Back