Steering and Sheeting

Martin_Cph

DEN 182275
Took my new Rooster carbon tiller-extension out for a sail. Damn..that thing is long 48-49”- it was all over the cockpit.

Overall feel is good…nice and thick (I went for the 25mm)…with rough griptape(ish) moulded into the carbon all the way down of the extension…that’s works well and it allows multiple different grips along the shaft.

But I must somehow get used to the new length…I can now pick up my sheet directly at the block allowing me to pull with changing arms which is good.

I need to somehow train this…do you guys bring your tiller/tiller-extension to the hike bench and train tiller/mainsheet combinations?

When you tack, keep it behind you until you get settled, then flick it around by holding it nearer the base. The handle goes above you, but your hand doesn't. You'll quickly get used to it, and then it'll be one of those can't do without items.

Tacking yes..I am doing just that and have for quite while….I am thinking more about the in-sheeting at the leeward mark….how do you train this best?

I am thinking about sitting in a secured boat on a trailer and simply sitting with my tiller extension pulling an endless sheet through. Full pulls from the block all the way up high and behind to a fully stretched arm – switching between them and steering at the same time.

This I need to practice with my new tiller...as I don't want to ever be seen sitting on it.:eek:

I hold onto the tiller extension with whatever hand is aft... under one of the fingers on the same hand, I hold on to my sheet... When I sheet in, I pull from the block with my free hand and pass the sheet from my free hand to the other hand that is holding onto the tiller extension and the sheet.... It's hard to describe...

I hold onto the tiller extension with whatever hand is aft... under one of the fingers on the same hand, I hold on to my sheet... When I sheet in, I pull from the block with my free hand and pass the sheet from my free hand to the other hand that is holding onto the tiller extension and the sheet.... It's hard to describe...

That means you are only pulling with the "front" hand and merely locking with the "aft" hand. Mission: I want a full pull from each hand directly from the block.

That means you are only pulling with the "front" hand and merely locking with the "aft" hand. Mission: I want a full pull from each hand directly from the block.

hm... well let me know what you figure out... I'm not sure how I would do that and manage to keep the boat pointed in the right direction with the extension flailing all about...

I am thinking about sitting in a secured boat on a trailer and simply sitting with my tiller extension pulling an endless sheet through. Full pulls from the block all the way up high and behind to a fully stretched arm – switching between them and steering at the same time.

Yup, this is what you do. I can do it some--it's more a strength issue for me.

Pez,
The tiller wobbles a bit when you do this but the boat seems to track fine. You have to pull hard and fast.

Steering at this stage is less important...you've just come around the leeward mark and you're aiming high...but without pressure....you must get that sail in quick in order to keep momentum. That’s my aim...I am currently to slow using one hand locking with the other. Look at the pros…one, two and a half and they up and hiking. Nice!

There are some variables (hand size,extension dia, wind strength), so whatever works for you...

Back