Starting with the basics . . . Know your lines

CraigT54

I've acquired an older Laser that appears to be in decent condition for a novice sailer but I'm not sure what I have in lines etc. Here are some photos of the stuff in the bag that came with it.

The lines in the double pulley are rotten so that’s an obvious replacement but I have no idea what else I need. Is it all here or should I just get a new line kit and if so which model or are they all the same? (I have the centerboard, tiller and rudder.)

Can someone point me in the right direction?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I would go on line and check out laser rigging, out haul, Cunningham etc. There are many up grades that you can do. Its a learning curve. The folks on this thread will give you great info and suggestion however you need to look at some videos and pix so you understand what they are saying.

Go8d luck and have fun.

It looks like everything is there, but I would recommand upgrading some parts. The lines look uncomfortable and very plastic.

I think this is the oldest setup available. The cunninghamsetup hardly changed over the years. You can just tie the line to the sail with a bowline(?) and pull it through the eye on deck and finally into the clamp.
In the newer setups an extra block is used. This is easily added.
http://laserxd.com/how-to-rig-a-laser-sailboat-cunningham-tiller-rudder-downhaul.php

If you are serious about sailing your laser I would recommend upgrading the vang to the XD version if possible. I can't tell if it will fit without any modifications. This system works loads better than the old system, tightening the vang while sailing is now possible. If you are just touring and aren't planning on changing it every few minuten it can wait.

Welcome Craig,

What are your plans for sailing :
All recreation
Some recreation/some racing
All racing

Any budget to work with ?

It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like with all the line that's there, that you could rig the boat as it was sailed in the 70's and 80's..

The two big issues I see are the line is not lead correctly in the picture below of the traveller - it runs thru the small block and then FORWARD thru the fairleads out on the edges of the deck. It should be run like this:
p1000471-jpg.4816

For sure, that 3 strand line in the vang needs to be replaced...

I've acquired an older Laser that appears to be in decent condition for a novice sailer but I'm not sure what I have in lines etc. Here are some photos of the stuff in the bag that came with it.

The lines in the double pulley are rotten so that’s an obvious replacement but I have no idea what else I need. Is it all here or should I just get a new line kit and if so which model or are they all the same? (I have the centerboard, tiller and rudder.)

Can someone point me in the right direction?
View attachment 14416

Actually that was how some used to rig the traveler to bring the blocks further forward and more in line with the boom blocks. Works fine either way.
E

Thats old! I think elvstrom sails were teh first sail makers, if tha's in as good condition as the pictures suggest it could be worth alot of money to someone....

As far as your ropes go i'd look at replacing them all, get a bit of colour in there so you can tell the differance between them quickly, mind you if your not fitting an xd kit you've only one line to the cockpit, but they also look rather thick, i use nice thin lines which run well...

Back