Standard Fish to Race Fish, what will i need

AJC6882

Im changing two sunfish over to racing sails. what else besides sails, rudders, and centerboards will I need? Also i have a cam cleat set up on my sunfish, should i change over to a Nautec or Harken ratchet block? If i did change to a rachet block which one is the best one for control while racing?

PLEASE HELP!

Everyone has a unique way to rig their Racing Fish, this is how the factory does it on a brand new boat:

- Race comes with an all white racing sail that has a big window so a lower boom doesn't site lines

- The lower boom comes with two clam cleats, which allows you to rig an outhaul and cunningham to control the sail shape better. You can further control your sail shape by turning the end of your halyard into a makeshift vang.

- The gooseneck gets a quick-release to allow you to shift the sail plane fore and aft

- The mainsheet block upgrades to a 57mm Harken Ratchet block

- No more sail rings, sail ties instead (think opti)

- The foils are FRP not wood

- The tiller is aluminum and the Race comes standard with a 36" extension

Long list huh?:)

Of the items listed by WestCoast, I think that the clamp to make the gooseneck adjustable on the water is the most useful. And I wouldn't be without a ratchet block of one kind or another.

The (Cunningham and outhaul) sail adjustments are nice for the top guys, but assuming you are relatively new at Sunfish racing, can also be a distraction. I wouldn't worry about those for now.

Do change to sail ties at the critical locations. Or do them all.

You should also study the Racing Rules of Sailing (2009 version) or the abbreviated version (The Rules in Brief; which comes on a plastic card). Both are available from US Sailing and certain stores.

David Loring's DVD is nice; viewing it (repeatedly) should make you faster on the water.

racing priorities... Sail, Newer (not Wood) dagger board. Hiking Strap and tiller extentsion (it should at least reach the block when the rudder is mounted in the down position ,Ratchet block... 57 mm or the next bigger one it think 70mm? get rid of the cam cleat IMO... question: how old are you, tall and weight? if you are of the small size sailor in heavier prevailing conditions you may want the bigger block... hiking strap is a must.... if you are getting new lines, go thin and strong-no stretch,for halyard and 1/4 inch main sheet (but this is less of a priority) hope this helps.. lee montes

I have a cam cleat, the one that laser performance sells should i get the harken rachetblock from laserperformance its on sale? Is the cam cleat i have competitve of do i need to get the Harken rachetblock? or is it not class legal? Also do i need a FRP Rudder and Daggerboard to be competitive? i have a Mahogony new style rudder and daggerboard for both my boats. and a new racing sails for both. Also Im going to install a hiking strap in each of my boats any suggestions on how to mount the rear hardware. Should I get the clam cleats for the lower boom?

Sorry for all the questions.

no problems with questions... i PM'ed you my private email... i am not familiar with the LP (laser perf) cam cleat... bu tif its the one you put on the deck, at teh front of teh cock pit and use it for the main sheet dont bother with that. get a harken, or other brand ratchet block. you may need a U strap to attch tto the deck to attach the block to the deck. i tis class legal. RFP or plastic Dagger board is a must. rudder if fine (the plastic rudder is the same dimensions as the wood one...) but you need a tiller extension, because going up wind you need to sit toward teh front of the cock pit, and an extension is the only way to steer the boat in this position. Hiking strap depends on if you have loops of metal in you cock pit... ask more if you need to know...

you are about my size... you dont need a cam cleat. you will be strong enough with the smaller block. (57mm) check out www.sunfishclass.org, http://www.wetpantssailing.org/fleet568/
http://www.sunfishclass.org/~midatlantic/blog/

this last link has a lot of good photos of sailors and you should be able to get an idea on how things are rigged... also.. fro the dagger board get several feet (about 6-9') of 1/4" bungee type of material to tie to the daggerboard and loop it around teh hull handle/ mast/ or where to the two spars connect (where that S hook) is...

Lee Montes

Back