Soon to be Sunfish Sailor

CaptainAdam

Hi, I am saving up my money so that in about 9 months, i will buy a Sunfish. i was wondering a couple things. Is the centerboard removable, as in, when you are taking it out of the water, do you just take the centerboard out? Also, do you suggest installing a cleet for the lines, or is it just a good idea to hold the line. Any info would be great because i am really looking forward to buying my boat and I have been a learning sailor for a few years, but only have been out on a boat probably 10 times. I have general knowledge, so any info is great

About the centerboard, you need it in the water to avoid to drift. I suggest you to read a good book on sailing to basic infos on sailing. Sunfish Bible is good if you want to know more about the specifics of Sunfish. I have not bought it yet.

CaptainAdam said:
Also, do you suggest installing a cleet for the lines, or is it just a good idea to hold the line.

You don't need a cleat to hold the sheet; just use your hands, especially if you are a beginner and in stronger winds.

Another book that some people have commented favorably upon is "Sailing for Dummies"

Adam, I bought my 1980 sunfish last week from a classified ad for $500 and it came with a trailer with new tires. Hopefully you can find one that fits your needs and budget.

Yes, the centerboard/daggerboard is removable. Regarding the cleat, mine came with a cleat. I like using it, but keep your hand on the sheet, because if you get a good puff, you're going to need to adjust it quickly.

I'm sure there are more qualified people than me on this board to answer your questions. Good Luck in finding the sunfish you desire.
Cathy

The Sunfish "centerboard" is called a daggerboard, because it's just stuck through the hull like a knife in a sheath.

It functions like a centerboard, but is removeable instead of being through-bolted at one point.

To answer your centerboard question, it's actually a daggerboard (like Porpoise2 said), and it is entirely removable.

A cleat entirely depends on how you like sailing and what conditions you sail in. In a light wind, it's great, because you can sit back and relax. In heavier winds, you're going to want it in your hand constantly.

Back