Small Rip

drjoefo

Hi all, my first post on the forum :)

I was just thinking what would be the best way to fix this little tear on the end of the batten pocket (please see attached image) as a batten has already fallen out :(

Should I use some sail tape or just a needle and thread?

Attachments

• CIMG1639.jpg
    CIMG1639.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 48
Sail tape is the easiest and cheapest but you'll have to keep an eye on it and replace it periodically (that's what I do with my sail that's like that). If you're handy with needle and thread then sewing it up might work out. If it really bugs you, maybe your local sailmaker could do a repair for not too much money.

Tape it.
Properly fixing it would probably require replacing the whole batten pocket, or it might break again.

Whenever I've had batten pockets replaced I have been shocked by the cost (although most of that experience is with larger boats sails - but still a shock). In my experience, sailmakers tend to remake the batten pocket rather than just "patch-up". That sail, most of the times I've needed batten pockets repaired has been due to a problem with the elastic at the other end.

(Bearing in mind I've not got the experience with Laser sails) I would consider how much life is left in the sail before taking to to a sailmaker. Maybe try tape (maybe reinforced with a bit of stitching.

Ian

I'd probably try tape first on that one. I might tape it, and then stitch through the tape.

The trouble is, since it's at the end of the batten pocket it's subject to increased stress and wear, which of course is why it wore through in the first place.

My guess is that's an original sail, and it's time to start thinking about replacing it with a "practice quality" sail that's one or two seasons old you can probably buy used off of a local hotshot racer for 150-200 bucks.

The reason why you remake the whole batten pocket is because it will break again if you just patch it up, it's more likely to hold for a longer period of time just taped =p
Making a new batten pocket is abit of a pain (so is patching it up) which is why it tends to get abit expencive.

Tape it untill there is nothing left to tape, thats my advice =p
Preferably get some sail-number tape as it's really durable and sticks really well. You should be able to buy a smaller piece from any sailmaker.

Fixed

Thanks for all your input guys, very helpful :)

I decided to just patch it up with some sail tape and then reinforce it with some stitching because as you pointed out, it's an older sail so I wasn't ready to pay to have it fixed.

I think it's a pretty good job :eek: should last for a bit. Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• DSC_0712.jpg
    DSC_0712.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 49

Back