Shortening Fatso extension?

Sailed with a new Fatso 48" extension today. I'm not used to sucj a long extension and got to wondering if any folks cut these down a bit. I'm sure I could try to get used to working it to keep it clear of the mainsheet, but with my sailing skills I hardly need another distraction. Who has cut theirs down and how did you cut the carbon ?

You can easily cut thru it with a hacksaw - You might want to consider sailing with it a few more times to see if you can learn to work with the full 48" length

if you are really old and out of shape and plan to stay that way...OK maybe it is OK to cut it off.'
But... at 5'10" and old and fat....early in weather legs, my 48 extension is so short I have to reach into the boat to steer.

of course by the end of a long day when I have the hiking strap under my thighs and my neck rsting against the grab rail, the extension is sorta long.

the previous post makes sense...wait!!!!

Try it more and WAIT before you forever cut it shorter.

Stick with it, don't cut it down. Honestly, they take a bit of getting used when you move from a short extension to the carbon but you'll soon realise the benefits of the length.

I tried mine at 48 for about half the frostbite season. I cut it down to 46 and I love it. I am not fighting to get the extention past the sheet. Still ends up being a few inches longer than my old setup.

This is what I did...... Popped the end cap off. Marked two inches back. Wrapped with electrical tape one inch each side of cut and then cut with a new hacksaw blade. Unwrap tape and reinstalled cap.

Back