setting the kicker

Hi,

How do you know if the kicker is set correctly?
What do you use for a reference point.
This is for light, medium and heavy winds.

Hi.

View sketch in attachment. You set the vang to the distance "a". For four* different distances you mark the control line of the vang, where the rope comes out of the cleat with a permanent warterproof marker.

*a: 65cm, 56cm ( = position: boom rectangular to the mast), 42 cm ( = position: "block to bock"), 32 cm ("super vanged")

This is the international convention, I did learn once of a GER pro Laserite.

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Sketch Vang Trim.jpg
    Sketch Vang Trim.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 86
What you are looking at is the end of the boom and the transom (it took me a little while to work it out). The measurement Lu is quoting is the distance between the end on the boom and the deck.

Its a jpeg file. Usually to open with login to TLF and then klick to the thumbnail image.

You measure from the end of the boom (and UNDER the boom) to the end of the deck (transom) ON the surface of the deck. This distance is distance "a".

Rigg your Laser with your sail, the outhaul and the kicker. Set the outhaul in that position, that the mid of the grommet of the clew of the sail is 15 cm distance to the end of the boom. Ask a friend to help you. HE holds the boom in that four different distances "a", I wrote at my 1st reply. YOU pull the kicker tight in that 4 positions and mark with a permanent marker the control line of the kicker at the cleat of the vang.

You get: 4 marked positions on the control line for the trim of the kicker.

Position "56 cm" is for downwinds over force 2 and position "42cm" is for upwinds in Bft 3-4. Upwinds over force 4: "supervang" the line of the kicker to position "32 cm". Position "65 cm" is for low winds under force 1-2 at downwind courses (to make the sail more bulgy).

Ciao
LooserLu

This 4 positions at the control line of kicker have been apointed international between the pro Laserites me was told by a pro Laserite of Team GER.

There is a nice general article that originally appeared in The Laser Sailor and has been transferred to the Laser Class website (North America). It was written by Mike Johnson from Seattle and I think gives an excellent guide. You can view it here.

Back