Media Serious speed with laser

Nice!!.

The Laser Coach CD has some amazing big wind sailing on it off of the coast of southern France. The chase boat that is video taping them has a 70hp motor on it and is being easily outrun by the lasers. It's one thing to sail in a stright line..... it's quite another watching an accomplished laser pro jibe in winds like that. The sail flips over so quickly.... and the switch in body position and weight is simply amazing. I'd say those winds are easily in excess of 30 knots.

I've been in 25+ before.... and it's downrite scary!. But way fun. ;)

-K

JMU said:
Wind speed was 15-17+ meters/second i.e. roughly 30-35 knots

Sweet!. ;)

Did the stately gentleman at the end performing the role do any damage to his step?.

There was a video around a while ago of this guy sailing in 40+ who vertically pitch roled his boat of a wave. He had to be rescued by a copter. Insane.

-K

Merrily said:
Wow, totally awesome! I see that switching to the Radial didn't help a bit! What were the windspeeds?

Merrily

it looks like there was more than one boat, a std rig with no sail number and the radial

the standard rig sailor was much more competent, even looked like he was staging the capsize because he hardly hikes at all when the boom clips the water, he would have had a 50/50 chance of saving it

the radial sailor's two capsizes were because he had the mainsheet too far off, the second capsize shows inexperience in that sort of wind because he tries to bear away with the leech past 90 degrees and with no boatspeed.....laser suicide

yeh i dont know how many times that has happened too me. i just put it down to not having much experience in the heavy stuff.

Hi,
the bigger guy (me) weights approx. 93 kg and the littleone with radial about 67 kilograms. The windspeed was'nt the problem, it was the very difficult chop...
Here is antoher clip where I' sailing a radial in a 15 m/s wind (~30 knots)
www.saillaser.fi/radialkeli.wmv

Henri

Curious... When the radial bears off and just before he loses it, there is an impressive forward curvature (kink?) in the mast. Is that natural flex, or is that a bent mast?

That's pretty normal for an unstayed rig. Mind you it is accentuated by the fact that the boat has very little forward speed, thus the forces on the rig are greater than you would like (which can lead to mast breakages or bent spars). As MURPHS has said, this guy needed to sheet in more and develop more boat speed before attempting to gybe.

whoa, super cool.

got to go out to the gorge and get some shots next season and see if it compares.

Thanks for the videos!

that is a great way to break your mast, though. Probably a good way to damage the step. In a bad heavy air death roll, the boat picks up tremendous speed and doesn't slow down until the mast hits the water.

Happened to me this past fall- I was up on the rail and over the side to the centerboard immediately, when I looked up the tip of my mast and my masthead wind indicator were about .5 m from my face. uuuuhh. what now?

Wow that was insane, That crash looked awful at the end though. 20 knts of wind is the most Ive ever sailed in though. I've sailed in 35 knts of wind on an
Olson 30. And that was one crazy ride. Great footage.

Great video - Thanks for posting!

I had a roll like that end the end of last summer... It put me out for 2 weeks because my knee went dead-on with my mast :(

Nice ride JMU!

I wonder if you had the training camp in Santiago de la Rivera or at the CAR? we used to sail in Murcia's small sea (mar menor), one of the best places in Spain for sailing. very nice breeze most days all year long.

Yeah,
el mar menor" is like a closed bay of a big lagoon inwhich very choppy conditions are produced for the high winds. Not open sea-like large waves but very close together. Water temperature is high even during the winter so it is nice to be out there.

Back in the days, we used to go to a place called Pipurrax to have some drinks after a long training day. I remember it with lots of nostalgy.

Have fun and goodluck at the BOW and Sofia (I assume you'll race them).

Hi Cenutrio,
Clip was from last year and it was not me in the clip. It was the guy who is posting here with the name "hekaleka". He is the one who did not keep on flipping over. I was there the year before and 3 weeks ago again. Place was CAR Infanta Cristina. There are some fresh pictures from this year here: http://www.saillaser.fi/kuvat.htm
We also tried some new things with on board camera this year. take a look:
http://www.saillaser.fi/videot.htm

Jukka

Hey,

I watched that onboardcamera clip... Last part of the clip, there was a windsurfer who sailed pass the laser.... Look like a windsurf board is faster than a laser dinghy.... Agree?

Back