Separated gunwale seam

polyacanthus

I was putting the boat away yesterday after sailing a couple times over the weekend and noticed this:

2016-07-18_04-11-09

Sorry for the bad pic but it's the gunwale seam that's separated along one side. I didn't notice this when we trailered it. It must be from our 3rd world Michigan roads.

I've never done fiberglass repair before but have worked with epoxy a lot (in smaller batches) and am quite handy. So through some searching it looks like I want West System 105, 206, and 406. Clean the joint, spread the epoxy, and clamp. Seems pretty straightforward. Anything else I should know before I jump in?

Wow! That's some serious separation. I'd reevaluate how the boat sits on the trailer, and how you have it fastened. It shouldn't do that.

Your repair sounds correct. I'd you have a dremel you could also chip out any loose filler. Be sure to clean with acetone before applying the epoxy.

Upon further inspection it looks like this area was repaired before by a previous owner. It's on the original Kitty Hawk trailer with a strap directly over the supports.

I used a Makita oscillating tool with a course carbide grout removal bit which made quick work of cleaning out the joint.

Back