Separate starts by class?

Do people prefer separate starts for Radials and Standards or one start for all? I've been told they have different sailing angles making a separate start preferable. This is for a regatta of 50-60 boats, about 10 or so being Radials. Thanks for thoughts

This comes up a lot. Look at some of the links at the bottom of the page.

If there are a small number of Radials, I think most would prefer a combined start. Ten out of fifty is kind of on the treshold.

Depends on how the racing is being organised. I personally only like starting with those I am competing against. anybody else just risks getting in my way or me getting in their way - which helps neither of us. You can end up struggling to get clear air from or take the wind from somebody you can neither beat not lose to (and they are doing the same to you, and will neither beat nor lose to you).

Even if there are only a few Stds/Radials, if they are not competing against each other they starting together just risks disrupting both fleets.

Of course if people are rig swapping then they must start in the fleet they are competing with.

Some might think bigger starts are good practice - but my own attitude is that if it is practice you want then organise some training sessions (maybe with short start lines). You can then do far more starts and get good practice.

Ian

Sometimes the Radial can be a faster boat if its hi wind lightweight sailor. At our club it's all together, if you say they get in the way, it's the same for everyone. Good overtaking practice maybe.

If the RC is willing to give separate starts, by all means go along because the racing will be fairer for all concerned. But you will need another set of trophies.

Deimos already presented arguments in favor of separate starts so some of the following may be superfluous:

In light winds the full rigs will inch ahead after starting and the Radials will be breathing dirty air, at least for a while until they find clear lanes or tack away. I have been there, and it takes away some of the fun factor.

It will be easier for the RC to call boats OCS since with separate starts, there will be fewer boats on the line.

Although a Radial can be (equally) fast in heavy conditions, the sailing will be more fair with separate fleets. Fewer boats on the course means fewer 'rules' issues. Of course, the full rigs should start first.

Separate start seems much better to me. If I was in a full rig and starting with radials, I would fight real hard to start above a radial. It would be a nice way to get an acceleration hole right after the start.

Although, if it is just a fun race, then it might be good practice for the radials to learn techniques to salvage a race after being squirted out the back :D

If you are handicapping results then all together.

However, as a radial sailor I hate starting with full rigs. Particularly if the results are being separated. If the results are being separated then mixing the fleets just means the fleets get in each others way.

It also shows in the UK for the South coast circuit they tend to give radials a separate start and the numbers taking part is very high. Other regions tend to have all on one start and it just means the radials don't bother doing the local opens as they know they are going to get beat by the full rigs.

Thanks for the insights Sailorchick. We have some very competitive Radials that regularly attend and I always assumed they'd rather mix it up in a big fleet (they usualy beat a good number of Standards) than sail in a small fleet of a dozen boats. I guess I'll ask them

When we do the open at Hunts we always gor for 1 start for all rigs but have seperate prizes for Radial and 4.7. In recent years it has been so windy that the Radial rigged boats often do very well against the full rigs.

We always award separate trophies by Fleet. I've always considered it comparable to the kids' Opti fleets - they all sail together but have as many as 5 fleets by age with awards by fleet. I asked some of my Radial champs and they agreed with the general sentiment here - separate starts. ----Speaking of which, Stone Horse Opti regatta Monday in Harwich Port, MA - great annual event with big turn-out for any of you with Opti kids.

Back