Self Bailing cock pit

Monk17

I'm the proud new owner of a 1970's vintage Sunfish. It's got the old style rudder and what I've been told is the old style self bailing cock pit. The only problem with the self bailing cock pit is that the part that's under water is facing the wrong way. Is this worth fixing? I've been told by some folks to just galss over it because they don't really work that well anyway. Any opinions? Also there isn't a drain plug. Where is the best place on the boat to install one? I've seen them midship and also on the transom. Thanks for the help!

The only problem with the self bailing cock pit is that the part that's under water is facing the wrong way.
Cool..., so the wide scoop faces forward ... that must make your cockpit rival the Bellagio fountain. :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZNe-Xde3g"]YouTube - Bellagio Fountains - Frank Sinatra Fly Me To The Moon[/ame]​

Fiberglassing it closed would be a bit drastic. Most Sunfish owners remove the bailer and clean it up, or if it's too corroded, cut it out with a Dremel and replace it with the new plastic variety.

Order up part #79260 from a Sunfish dealer.

Also there isn't a drain plug.
Its the dime size slotted screw in the deck at the outer tip of the coaming on the starboard side.

New idea! I could just build a little statue in the cockpit.

Actually it's facing sideways so no real show going on. Thanks for the part number I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the advice!

Is is legal to remove the bailer for racing? I'm sure I would not miss it if I removed mine and picked up a little speed.

Anyway, every bailer I've seen faces a slightly different direction, I'm not sure what the "correct" position is.

Back