Self Bailer Help

Monk17

Seems as if I'm missing an important component to my self bailer. Shouldn't this have some sort of cap to it? When I'm sailing it's fine, when I stop for any reason the cockpit fills with water.
Drain Plug 002.jpg

Drain Plug 001.jpg

Is in the open position, I'm guessing it's frozen. Soak threads with 'PB Blaster' for a couple days, cover bailer cap with cloth and gently try turning it with a Channel Lock tool.

Thanks webfoot, I'll give it a try! I'm assuming that it's the old style bailer since the boat is a 70.

I just got my bailer loose yesterday. I recently bought a 1973 sunfish. I had the boat upside down on some sawhorses, and I sprayed PBlaster into the bailer thru the hole in the bottom (which was now on top). I filled that thing up and let it sit for a day, then grabbed the part you show in your picture with vise grips, and the part sticking out of the bottom of the boat with a pipe wrench and it loosened up without too much straining. the vise grips gouged up the edges of the bailer a little; it was mint shape before that. Mine looked like brass, but as it turns out, it's aluminum with a brass finish. Now I have to get that big nut off so I can take the whole thing out and re-fit with new rubber washers.

Back