Self bailer for cockpit

capn_billl

I bought a laser with a self bailer installed. But when I launched it, the water seemed to be going the wrong way. So I removed it and put in a cork. Even after capsizing there was less than 1/2 inch of water in the cockpit, and even with steady spray from a beam reach, I never felt like I needed to bail.

1. Do these things really work?
2. Is it not working because of my need to lose weight?
3. Is a cork and a tin cup on a string going to do a better job?

I still have the self bailer, should I try to reinstall it, or just toss it?

Capn; I've also removed the self bailer from both my lasers, I find that a rubber stopper on a line works just fine, I just jam it in with my foot. There are improved springs you can buy to make the bailer work better, but I've never bothered

Ok, so when are you pulling the rubber bung out when you're sailing? If you pull it out going downwind then water is going to rush in because you aren't moving fast enough. If you pull it on a strong reach or when going upwind, you'll be moving fast enough for the water to drain out.

I bought a laser with a self bailer installed. But when I launched it, the water seemed to be going the wrong way. So I removed it and put in a cork. Even after capsizing there was less than 1/2 inch of water in the cockpit, and even with steady spray from a beam reach, I never felt like I needed to bail.

1. Do these things really work?
2. Is it not working because of my need to lose weight?
3. Is a cork and a tin cup on a string going to do a better job?

I still have the self bailer, should I try to reinstall it, or just toss it?

are you racing?
if not, id just toss it and glass over the hole on the bottom of the boat. you can easily kick the water out if you wear boots while you sail

i don't know if glassing over your bailer is a good idea. repairing it and knowing how to use it may be a better option. racing or not, a functioning bailer is a good thing. even having it available after racing on the trailer to empty the cockpit is useful.

are you racing?
if not, id just toss it and glass over the hole on the bottom of the boat. you can easily kick the water out if you wear boots while you sail

The boot in the back of the cockpit works great with no more than 2 inches in the cockpit and is hard to do when you are racing and should be concentrating on other things. Try getting a full cockpit empty that way after you've buried the bow in a wave when it's blowing near 20, (or more). Dollars to dougnuts you'll capsize before you can get in 5 good kicks. Every inch of water in the cockpit equals an extra 10 lbs in the bottom of your boat. A cockpit full of water also makes the boat unstable.

Those who have bailers usually keep them closed in lighter air. 10 or under. Anything over 10 we keep them open as the boat will self bail in breeze. The bailer makes for the underwater profile of the hull smoother as it fills the cavity under the hull where the bailer hole is.

Back