Seitech vs Optiparts Trolley

LaserBen

I need to get an aluminium trolley as I'm going to be car topping my boat this season for some long distance driving and I don't want to be lugging around the one that fits on my trailer.

Two options:
http://www.optimistonline.co.uk/acatalog/Laser_Trolley.html

http://www.lasersailing.com/shop/uks/product/5247?i=

The seitech one looks a bit more sturdy, and I like the bigger handles, but it's going to be 30% more expensive. Likewise, it may not actually be any better. ALso it's got much wider tubing which is going to be more bulky for fitting in the car.

Does anyone have either of these and can give me an opinion?

Cheers,
LaserBen

The Optiparts trolley look much stronger close up and come apart in under a minute. Spring loaded pins!

Bit cheaper at Rooster

In the US, most of the dollys in use are Seitech, for various reasons, but certainly because they work quite well. (they also hold their resale value very well in the US)

If you are moving the boat around in soft sand, the Seitech wider wheels make it a single person job (I've watched many a tired sailor come in and require another person to pull their boat around with the wheels that are on the optiparts dolly.

Can't comment on the optiparts dolly as far as strength goes, except I'd want to know what their warranty/policy is if/when one of the welds breaks - With the seitech, the plastic joints do fail on occasion, usually user error (i've had 3 dollys for a cumulative total of 15 years and had to replace one joint which broke when I dropped the dolly from 8'), but they will either warranty or for a reasonable cost replace them.

On the sling vs no sling - I really like having the sling for launching/hauling when the water is anything but flat calm, without the sling, you have to get the boat off the side supports before going into the water if you don't want to fight the floating dolly wanting to stay stuck to the hull. Getting the boat back on the dolly after sailing in waves w/o a sling sounds like a challange trying not to ding the hull with the side supports

Seitech.

I think the Seitech does more to protect your boat. The gunwale supports seem more forgiving for one. I've also seen boats on Optiparts dollies that have slipped off the gunwales onto the plastic axle beam and then rocketed downhill and onto the beach or, worse, pavement... This won't happen with the strap, even if you lose the bow. If you beach launch and there is any chance, I say go Seitech.

The one draw-back is the time it takes to take the seitech apart for transporting in a vehicle. Though I haven't tried, with the optiparts it is rumored to be easier/quicker.

Back