Seitech Replacement Wheels?

murraymcleod

Anyone know of a good source for Seitech dolly replacement wheels, other than the standard $57 wheels ofered by vendors selling the dollys? Is it possible to use an inner tube inside my old wheels? If so, where can the inner tubes be purchased? Thanks.

Murray Mcleod (GM, #100139)
SF Bay Area

Seitech sells replacement inner tubes for the old wheels for something like 8 bucks each. Also, I think you can get cheaper small wheels that will fit the dolley at a farm hardware store. Don't know how far you'd have to go to find a farm store in SF.

Merrily

I tried to find a cheeper alternative when my tires gave out. Tried EVERYWHERE and could find nothing that had the same axel size. So, I ended up spending the $110 clams on a set of new tires from Seitech. I saw they sell tubes, but my old tires seemed to be glued to the rims which had quite a bit of sun damage. I figured if I tried to use a tire puller to get the tires off the wheel would have fallen apart.

The old Seitech wheels used the same size tube as a typical wheelbarrow. I've bought replacements at hardware stores before.

The old Seitech wheels used the same size tube as a typical wheelbarrow. I've bought replacements at hardware stores before.

As the former owner of the Seitech company, I can confirm Torrid's post that the old Seitech wheels (with ribbed tires) use wheel barrow inner tubes that can be found in most hardware stores at prices under $10. Useing plastic -rather than metal- bicycle tire irons (at least two) to remove the tire helps to prevent damage to the rim. Deflating the tire completely by removing the valve (with a special valve remover) helps a lot.

In contrast, the new Seitech wheels with knobby tires are tubeless. A leek, usually due to a broken seal, can be fixed by locating the spot, marking it, deflating the tire, bending it away from the rim at that spot, cleaning the spot with a tooth brush and soap water, and inflating the tire again to 20 psi.

Peter Seidenberg

Hi Mr. Seidenberg

1. Welcome to the Forum where Laserites talk online and worldwide. I hope you will enjoy all the time you invest here and I can imagine that you are a very busy Laser-Master-champion.

2. I have another few questions to you, because you are the one, I think, who knows all and best about the Seitech-dolly:
I got a new used Laser (age 5) here in GER, that came with a very old Seitech. The former owner (was a former member of the German-Laser-Team (B-Kader) told me, that I not should use the bearing in the meddle between the axle and the front of the dolly. The Laserstore at the near of the river Rhine located this bearing as a reason for damages of the gelcoat, they say. So, the former owner made that bearing away. Is this correct?

I sell my old 46438 in Summer 2006 and she has the TRD-Dolly (Modell “Practic”). Because the TRD has sharp edges, that already made some scratches to the old 46438, I think to sell the TRD too. This TRD has also this bearing but it has no contact to the Laserhull and it was no problem for my old loved 46438, but, the Seitech has this construction where I can take the hull out of the waistband for storing the hull at the gunwale for some longer time. That is also an advantage compared to the TRD-Practic-dolly. How long can the hull stored on the Seitech that way without defomation of the hull?
Thanks for your comments Mr. Seidenberg already jet.

Regards
LooserLu
DLAS-member

Merrily said:
Seitech sells replacement inner tubes for the old wheels for something like 8 bucks each. Also, I think you can get cheaper small wheels that will fit the dolley at a farm hardware store. Don't know how far you'd have to go to find a farm store in SF.

Merrily
When you saythere are tubes for "older wheels" do you mean the 'type A' knobby wheels that I have...or are you referring to some older wheels used by Seitech... There is a store near SF (Harbor Freight Tools) that sells lots of replacement wheels, but they all seem to have a 5/8" axles (or smaller) instead of the 1" used by Seitech...Does Seitech have an on-line store to purchase tubes? My leak is in the side-wall of the tire, not at the seal where the tire meets the rim...Thanks.

The "old" Seitech wheels, pre-1998, are easiest to recognize by their "ribbed" or "grooved" tire tread. They are the ones with an inner tube. The tires are identical with wheel barrow tires.

The "new" Seitech wheels have tubeless tires with a 'knobby" tread. They come in 3 different sizes: "A" for Lasers and similar light boats, "B" for 420s and similar medium boats, and "F" for heavy boats and challenged terrain. Tubeless tires cannot be replaced, only the complete wheel.

Hope this helps to clarify the "old" and "new" tire issue.

Back