Seitech dolly brackets and trailering...

dcdunbar

I've searched the threads about multiple lasers on a trailer but so far haven't seen my exact question posted. I appologize if I'm mmistaken. Anyeay, I am looking to convert my trailer to handle both of my lasers for road trips. What I'm planning on doing is something similar to an earlier post which described a center channel on the trailer made of wood or PVC and then estending the bunks susch that the dolly and the boat on the dolly will rest on the bunks (I intend on using the strap to support the boat on the dolly and not the rail supports). Now, once that setup is on the dolly I'm planning to have another laser on top which will have sufficient padding in-between the two boats. Finally, the last dolly is placed upside down on the upper boat.
All was going well in the design until a friend of mine warned me that the "L" shapped dolly supports may not be strong enough to support the load of both boats and then being tied to the trailer. Concerned about this little tidbit of my plan, I called Seitech and their rep, Bo, was very helpful and said that he reccomends that I upgrade to the Iso-plast "L" supports. these new supports, which are directly connected to the sling and the axle, are the same ones that are used on the 420 dollies. So... has anyone encountered the same problem? Do these supports break often? Anybody have input on the "Isoplast" brackets?? According to Bo at Seitech, the new "Isoplast" support should support at least 3-400 lbs but I'd love to hear for people that may have had the same problem.
The total price of the upgrade is around $60-80 versus spending $700 for a multiple trailer rack. I'd rather not get into an extensive trailer rack design but am will to hear suggestions on what others have done.
Many thanks in advance
dave

I don't know about the "L" supports but I've had problems with the standard axle angle brakets (P06). They crack over time and when I replace them I buy the heavy duty ones. Both of the brackets on my Laser dolley are about to go. Maybe I use my dolley more than other people. When daylight savings time happens I can sail two/three times a week. I have four dolleys total, two Lasers and two Sunfish for both me and my husband.

I am planning on a similar rig. I had a wet wetsuit stolen from my trailer in San Francisco, so being security conscious I am having the local blacksmith (I live in the country) weld in some lockable equipment boxes and brackets for 8"PVC tubes for spars and sails under the rail that supports the dolly. I will look into the sturdier brackets.

Thanksfor your replies- I guess I should have been clearer. I meant the standard axle angle brakets (P06) to which Cindy is referring in her comments.

I guess Its "good" to hear that the brackets can crack over time as I've just order two new ones out of the Isoplast material at a tune of around $80. I wouldn't want to be traveling down the road and have one of the standard axle brackets break on me and then have the lasers spilling allover the road. Hopefully the new ones are a good bit stronger...

Back