Securing the Vang Key

Seconds after a heavy wind & wave start and right before I vang on hard, I hear the vang key drop to the deck. That was pretty hard to re-attach while hiking and pointing. I hear that some use a bungee set-up to prevent this? thanks for thoughts.

Tie a really small loop in some shockcord. Stretch the loop over the boom and slide it beyond the vang fitting. Once the vang is properly attached, slide the loop forward so that the key can't fall out. Oterwise just use a bit of electrical tape to prevent the key slide out.

I have an old velcro watch strap that I keep on the boom. When I'm rigged I slide the strap over the kicker fitting which then prevents the kicker from falling out of the boom.

Isn't it part of the new regs to have a piece of 2/3mm shock tied around the boom which you pull back over the vang key to keep it in place. Think it comes with all the upgrade kits

My vang key also used to fall out a lot, turns out I had the old classic vang strap on the boom with the new vang, and not the new keyhole vang strap.
Karen

I have a small piece of shockcord tied around the boom and stretch it forward as Alan suggests. Works very well for me and is less hassle than taping it.

Back