Season's Greetings from Tomales Bay

Dennis

Not to rub it in about the weather in much of the U.S. (I actually miss the snow!), but here's how it looked in pretty light air on Tomales Bay, CA last Sunday afternoon. No crowds. Nobody asking for room at the mark. Just sweet, dense, cool air lifting us across the water.

Can anybody tell me what's missing from this Laser? (Besides a top-ranked competitive skipper)....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lcNK1l22c9g

Dennis Olson
Tomales Bay CA

The block for the outhaul "by" the gooseneck is too far from the gooseneck. I'm sure there is a rule about it being a max. distance from the mast and I'm sure that looks somewhat too far.

Ian

The block for the outhaul "by" the gooseneck is too far from the gooseneck. I'm sure there is a rule about it being a max. distance from the mast and I'm sure that looks somewhat too far.

Ian

Ian, the setup for cunnigham, vang and outhaul is the racing version of the "Non XD"-Style. There, all I can see, all is correct. The blocks for the mainsheet at the boom are not legal for official-racings (not builder supplied).
The big Laser-Class Logo is missing at the top of the sail and also the sailnumbers and "USA". Reason: The sail is not builder supplied (no class-sticker etc. at the "Tack-grommet area"). Perhaps I would add a windindicator (there is a sort of one at the mast top)

Ciao
LooserLu

Nice to get so many astute eyes looking for the oddities! I was just thinking everyone would notice the non-class sail. You're right, though, in that the boom blocks aren't class-legal, either.

You see, I sport-sail only. Never race (well, twice, actually in 25 years) and usually sail alone, so I take advantage of the cheaper sail and fool around with my rigging (and have a better rudder, too!). For some odd reason I still pay my dues and stay a class member - just enjoy the boat and the people too much, I guess.

Now I've gotta go unroll my sail and check for battens - I never missed any, but in that video it looks like the top one has gone bye-bye!

Cheers!

Dennis

Back