Score!

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Shoreline99, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member

I just scored, after much searching, a 1979 AMF sunfish in good repair. All fittings, lines and hardware are intact and the hull only has minor damage and repairs to it. Not quite a Sunday driver, but a great starter. The rudder needs a few coats of spar varnish and the daggerboard needs to eventually be replaced, but a great pickup all-in-all. Even the sail is in decent shape.

Best part? It was free.

Now, to patch the minor damage and cartop it 300 miles so I can teach my kids to sail!

I figure I will be a regular here for a while until i get back in the groove. It has been many years since I've sailed one of these...

2. douglas_zargham

douglas_zargham Member

3. mwallin

mwallin New Member

sweet

4. OldNJLaser

OldNJLaser Member

^^^ what they said. Good luck with it!

5. Kevin Mc

Kevin Mc Member

Congrats! Hard to beat getting a good boat for free!

6. douglas_zargham

douglas_zargham Member

Let the expenditures begin!

(sorry)

7. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member

Yep. I'm already going through the forums and Tag's blog and seeing what I need to purchase...

Need new mast ends, new lines and some sail clips to start. And some gelcoat patch.

This one is set up with a funny aluminum crossbar across the cockpit (rubber bumpers on each end) bolted through the top to some rubber catch blocks. The mainsheet block is attached to this crossbar. Eventually, I'll replace this with a new block in front of the hook (standard setup) and patch the holes in the top. I'll post a photo or two later.

8. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

The funny crossbar is the traveler that goes with the Super Sunfish rigging. Just disregard that one and mount a normal block. Or did your diamond in the rough come with the remainder of the Super Sunfish rig? Mast, boom, sail and a bunch of lines?

9. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member

Yep. Black mast and booms with lines and hardware as well as two sails. I will post photos later.

10. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member

Yes, it is a Super Sunfish. It has a complete sunfish mast and sail with lines, etc. as well as the Super Sunfish setup.

Here are a few shots of the hull and cockpit with the conversion rig, as well as the super sunfish sails and mast/boom assembly:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9083477@N07/

I apologize for the low light. It really is in remarkable shape for its age. It needs a good cleaning and polishing and some gelcoat work but not bad otherwise.

The sunfish sail and mast/boom assembly has been disassembled pending new sail rings and mast top & bottom caps from APS, so I don't have any shots of it in this album.

The Super Sunfish mast assembly needs a good cleaning; the whole kit and kaboodle was stored under a tarp and has a lot of earth on it. One sail is brand new and still has the Neil Pryde warranty tag on it.

The rudder needs to be stripped and revarnished; the daggerboard needs the same treatment and eventual replacing, but for now it's fine. Any advice or tips will be much appreciated as I go through this process.

11. tag

tag my2fish

a Sunfish rig, Super Sunfish rig, and hull all for free? man, you got a sweet deal! good luck with the minor prep work, and ask any specific questions that come along.

if you don't plan to race in class events and your daggerboard really needs an upgrade, I'd consider the FRP replica daggerboard from Intensity Sails - I've been really happy with mine so far.

cheers,
    thad

12. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member

Question on the super sunfish rig, if anyone can help.

I need a new halyard line, a new mainsheet line and a new line for the vang setup.

The rigging instructions on the sunfish sailor group (great resource, btw) give lengths and diameters for all the lines except for these three. Any ideas?

The halyard end is still attached to the rig, so I have the latch end. Looks like 1/8" halyard line?

13. Operaman

Operaman New Member

Nice get indeed. I picked up almost the same block you have that is mounted on the traveler. Mine has a nicro shackle instead of the traveler car. I was wondering how it would work. You took that away with your picture. I am guessing it will work out great. Gonna have to install an eye, like _^_ near where the hook is to mount it. Maybe use the same holes? Or leave the hook and mount it on top. Would think if I have the block, why would I use the hook?

14. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member

Must be my lucky week.

Just for good measure, I had another one given to me today that's a twin of this one, but a '76 hull. I've been searching for a trailer, and a colleague mentioned that while he didn't have a trailer, he had a sunfish he was looking to get rid of. It's an ex-sailing school boat (needs a sail and some fiberglass work around the daggerboard trunk). I haven't had the time to evaluate it thoroughly yet, so we'll see how this goes. You know, because I need more projects.

Next up will apparently be an a-frame double trailer for the twin fish.

15. Operaman

Operaman New Member

Attach the hulls and make the first multi-hull Sunfish!

16. brianZ71

brianZ71 Member

Make a sunfish catmaran!

17. danpal

danpal Active Member

If you keep this up, you'll soon have enough sunfishs to build a pontoon bridge... Would have been quite a site at this years worlds in Curacao.

Attached Files:

18. Bob1357

Bob1357 New Member

How about posting some pictures of your 79. I would love to see them.

19. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member

There are some photos of the '79 at that flickr link. I will post some more this week. I have to convert a jetski trailer to a dual sunfish trailer and haul them 300 miles, so I haven't even looked at them in a few days!

20. Shoreline99

Shoreline99 New Member