Scheidt downwind

almineev

It looks like there is lots of pumping and rocking going on the downwind legs http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4270530856689008464
It looks sweet and fast, but is it still below the rule 42 bar? I think there are definitely more than one 'propulsion' move for each wave. Pretty aggressive. What do you think?
This vid shows a practice race, so Robert might be more relaxed rule-wise. Too bad there are no vids with him on real races...

Hard to say. Having taken photographs of waves before I've been amazed by how much more calm it seems than when you were actually there. Going by the look of his wake, there's more wind there than the waves seem to match.

Yeah, basically too hard for me to make the call on rolling and pumping from those conditions in a video.

That's an interesting thing to see though. On the last downwind leg you can see he's so far by the lee that his battens are inverted half the time. That takes some skill, but it doesn't count as pumping because it's natural.

Seheidt is not cheating at all.

He is steering with his sail.

Look at the boat. Every time it heels to weather the bow comes down and every time he heels to leeward the bow heads up.

This is totally legal.

In practice, especially in the US, if you are as agressive as Scheidt, ignorant people will holler and scream and some US judges will protest. You must be prepared to yell back. "These are moves to steer with the sail. Watch the direction of my boat!!! These are not pumps. Check with the international judges. See bow down boom goes up. Bow up boom goes down. This is NOT illegal pumping."

You may end up in the room all night and you may be tossed.

Note: If this is not perfectly clear to you, you will probably cheat while trying to accomplish it.

You ain't Sheidt

Look more. See how he sneaks in a pump as he turns to leeward and another as he truns to weather. He is just trimming to match the direction he is headed.

Personally, I got all pooped out just watching him hike.

The man is a perpetual motion machine.

Good analysis Gouv. I think you're right about the bow direction changing each roll. I'd be interesting to hear the perspective of an "international judge" as to rule 42 infringements.

I was more interested in his upwind technique though. I saw a Roostersailing video which emphasised using the "lifting" effect on the bow, of pushing the helm to leeward when heeled. It has the effect of sinking the stern thereby lifting the bow over the wave. It looked like Rob's upper body 'lurch' aft (presumably to lift the bow over the wave) was combined with a simultaneious pull on the helm to weather - which should in theory cause the bow to dip. Never the less he was obvious quick through the chop. Impressive hiking.

Seheidt is not cheating at all.

He is steering with his sail.

Look at the boat. Every time it heels to weather the bow comes down and every time he heels to leeward the bow heads up.

This is totally legal.

My serious race days appear to be behind me so I'm not as up to date with the rules as I once was. On first looking at this vid

a.) I was gobsmacked with appreciation.

b.) I couldn’t see how the constant rolling downwind was legal.

So I checked on the latest revision to the ISAF rules I have read them before but may not be the only part time laser racer to have missed the vital addition to Rule 42 in the 2005 revision:-

42.3 Exceptions

(a) A boat may be rolled to facilitate steering.

the ability to claim the roll was "to steer" opens up a whole new defence that wasn't allowed when it was ' one pump per gust or wave to promote planing'! I'm with you Gouv totally legal and totally awesome.

And another thing - why have I got to pay as much for a second-hand flute as a new Laser Sail?

Back