Sails

Seashell

Bought a used Laser with standard sail. Considering 4.7 for my 14 yr old to sail. Do I really need the smaller sail? Anyone selling 4.7 complete setup? New to this so please excuse me!

you may have to provide more info to get peoples opinion. is the 14 year old a boy or girl? i think a 14 yr old boy could handle a Radial ( the sail size between the Full and 4.7). i also think that a 14 yr old girl, who had experience from Opti's, etc could also handle a Radial.
and i'm not being sexist in any way, it's just opinion on their size, weight, and sailing ability. a strong, skilled 14 yr old boy or girl may quickly grow out of a 4.7 rig.

It is for a 14 yr old girl with no prior sailing experience. She has years of boating experience but no sailing. I raced Hobie 16 many years ago and we just wanted to get her started in the sport.

Is she too old/big for the bic Open? saw some kids out on one earlier this year and it seemed like a lot more fun than an opti

we have 14 yr olds sailing 470s that are sailing for the first time as part of the high school sailing that seems to finally reached critical mass around here.

What is a bic open? This Laser was purchased just to get her into the sport . Where could I buy a used 4.7 setup.

This Laser was purchased just to get her into the sport . Where could I buy a used 4.7 setup.
Try to get her a used original 4.7er rigg first (sail and lower mast segment, the upper mastsegment is the same like for the Standard rig or Radial rig). A used 4.7er you probaly get here at TLF at the "sales area" somewhere or start a request at TLF "wanted area" or get a new replika 4.7 rig from www.intensitysails.com.

In my opinion, there is no need to sell the Laser get her into the Optimist. Start her sailing in lower winds only (under Force 2). Reminding to my racing times at the Optimist Dinghy, I only am able to say, that I felt to old for Opti at age 13. Also at that age I have been to long (and to heavy) for Otpi, probably its the same for your girl.
What is a bic open?
View here: http://www.openbic.com/

Ciao
LooserLu

Back