sailing on tv?

sailordude

hey is there any shows or anything or races on tv? i just got digital cable and wondering if theres anything cool im missing out on. thanks

2007 Americas Cup is almost here! Check your local listings on ESPN2, OLN, these are the only 2 stations I've seen run sailing. Sometimes you can catch 30 min. shows on the match racing circuit, but they are real hard to find and usually run at like 1:00 AM.

i heard there was volvo ocean race stuff on national geographic!! sounded kind of odd but that would be cool! hey 49208 whats that t2p.tv thing all about?

sailordude said:
hey 49208 whats that t2p.tv thing all about?

Check their site, you should get a pretty good feel for what they offer. You won't find all the fancy camera shots or technology that you would get on a major network shoot, but they do get around to a lot of events and anything that promotes our sport should get our support IMHO.

I really think it is important that more sailing is shown on TV - even free to air. The sailing coverage in Australia during the last olympics was non-existant. We need TV coverage to encourage the growth of the sport.

Perhaps race organisers should even consider making events more TV friendly - small courses that last 15mins? Similar to rowing events. I know it sounds crazy, but TV is never going to show our sport the way it is now. There is too much perceived innaction.

Gary Jobson will host an airing of the college nationals on ESPN U. There will be two half hour showings. One for the team racing, and one for coed fleet racing. Go visit his website for air times.

company called "Windtopia" was going to be all over content for TV shows. Not sure what happened.

They were at 2004 ICSA Nationals with an RV, tons of boats, helicopter too I was told.

They were going to sell to College Sports Network and t2p, but who knows anymore.

rock steady - I totally agree with you. Did you catch the coverage of the skiffs on Sydney Harbour a little while ago? That was done quite well with head-cams on some sailors and stuff but the 'non-sailing' members of my family were still bored by it and confused by the course.

I reckon the lack of coverage is a huge issue - we all know that the clubs here are stuggling to recruit new members. I wonder why?! There's not enough publicity. Some people I've spoken to were shocked when they found out I sail - they all said 'but I thought sailing was for fat, rich, old business men in HUGE boats?' That made me laugh so hard! That's what the Syd-Hob coverage does to the image of our sport.

Sorry for my little rant and I know it's slightly off-topic. It just annoys me that Australia is supposedly the 'sporting nation' yet they won't televise such an accessible sport.

^^^ No I didn't see that!! What a shame. Yeah it's an issue close to my heart too. Sailing deserves a better image than a sport for "fat old men", and young kids need something to aspire to. When I was a kid I wanted to be just like Ian Murray (AUS America's Cup skipper) - and it was ONLY through TV that I learnt about him.

Sport in Australia is just so dominated by the big professional sports of football(AFL or Rugby League) and Cricket. I think also that sailing is a true international sport, and we would never dream of showing something that didn't include an Australian winning.

I guess we can only wish, and do whatever we can to encourage others into our sport.

hey man, if you think the coverage down there is lame, just come up here!

We get AC coverage for about 5 hours every 4 years, and maybe some big boat series on a stupid hard to get channel in between!

West Coast - that sucks! We don't get all that much either. All we really get here apart from the ocassional stuff like I mentioned before (the skiffs) is the start of the annual sydney-hobart. We all know that that's not about the sailing. It's about providing advertising to the sponsors and making the rich even more so.

Rock Steady - when I was a kid starting out sailing I felt sometimes like maybe there was no point. If i hadn't loved it so much I think I would have stopped. I felt like there was no-one to aspire to be like and that it was a waste of time doing such a unrecognised sport. I eventually decided to aspire to be like my aunt and uncle - who've just sailed around the world. It sucks that kids in this sport don't get to see their role-models on tv.

amen! man this sucks... your so lucky get to live in like the sailing capital of the world i get to sail on a small lake. even though i live in the land of 10,000 lakes i think most of them are swomps. we should all start something to get more sailing on tv! the only thing iv seen was a few years ago americas cup at like 2 in the mornin.

^^^ I agree about getting more sailing on tv. I'm not sure about what we could do though. I've seen a few articles in the national sailing mag over here (Australian Sailing) about how people have 'redesigned' the courses to make them shorter and simpler etc and they seem like great ideas. All it needs now is for someone to actually implement it, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Back