sailing in rain

markhamlin

I've never sailed during the winter , therefore I have a basic question: how does it work sailing in the rain? does it make sailing miserable? There's a storm and good wind (weather.com says 10-25mph), vs the daily 5-10 like it's been for weeks, so i'm dying to go... is rain ok? Also there's large 15 foot swells, but I figure as long as the harbor mouth isn't breaking, that wont' effect me at all, probably be fun for surfing in the bay

We've never had any problem with sailing in the rain. How is the water there, though? Miserably cold water + rain in a laser might not be fun at all. However, if the water is decent and the rain semiwarm, you'll be fine!

Rain isn't a huge problem as long as it isn't pounding or huge. If it gets to bad, hard to see at all, turn back in. Stay closer to land than normal, and make sure you let someone else know where you are and when you intend on returning.

rick

i dont' think the temperature is an issue.

my friend just mentioned lightening... i know nothing about this, is it an issue in a storm? if there's no thunder of anything obvious, i'd imagine it's not an issue

well, yes, but i mean, it shouldn't be a problem in the rain and if it's overcast as long as you can't hear thunder or see any lightening... right?

Sure - it depends on your local weather patterns. If it's just a rain storm and not a thunderstorm... but I'd be very careful.

I was by myself on Yellowstone Lake this July (in 45 degree water) and it started to blow, the whitecaps came up, then it got very black, and the lightning began to shoot around over the lake in the distance, maybe 10 or 20 miles away. I got the hell out of there in a hurry, laid the boat over on the dock, then waited to pull the mast until it was clear.

we almost never get thunder here, and rarely see it, usually only hear it once a year. it wont' be an issue i guess. as i've said, for the last few years i've only sailed during the summer so better to ask than find out it's dangerous and miserable with the rain. looking forwards to surfing the swells :)

The only thing that makes sailing miserable is no wind!

There is no such thing as inappropriate weather only inappropriate clothing.

rock steady said:
The only thing that makes sailing miserable is no wind!

There is no such thing as inappropriate weather only inappropriate clothing.

This is so true. I've sailed in cold pounding rain almost like being hailed on, but it was hot summer so it felt good. I've sailed in cold drizzle but with nice warm gear. And there's lots of danger of lightning in the summer in Ohio and you just come in at the first sign--the sound of thunder or lightning in the distance. The 15 foot swells sounds like a blast. For peace of mind it would be nice if someone else is going out too.

I say go if there is no thunder and have someone go out with you just incase the visibility gets really bad. we deal with rain all the time here in florida especially during the summer and it really isnt that big of a deal.

so I went sailing, for maybe 30 minutes. there were 4 or 5 other lasers out in radials racing inside the harbor because the bay was too strong to go into. When the wind started picking up, i realized i had to get back, but i couldn't go straight downwind , and I kept letting the sail out, but I couldn't turn and I was going straight towards a docked boat, so i reached back to the tiller and pulled on the tiller rather than the extension, but I guess it unbalanced me and flipped me over. because of the wind, i turned so sail was upwind of me, i was drifting towards other boats, and I knew i'd double roll. so I to the boat up, avoided the boom, it flew over tot eh other side, and i managed to get it up from there. but I still had the same problem as in the beginning, but then somehow, I haven't figured out how yet, but i had an insanely fast capsize where I managed to be stomach down on the high side flying past the bow because somehow the boat stopped and i didn't :p major issue, managed to almost turtle, did a few rolls trying to get it up, and then realized i coudlnt' leave the inlet to go back into the main channel to go downwind to the ramp, so I was doing laps in a tiny area deciding what to do, and I saw some people so i asked them to catch me on the dock (only a few feet of open area so I couldn't do it myself) . my dad came over and we just de-rigged on one of the other docks and it was all ok from there, except that we had to carry the boat quite a distance before we could put it down on grass and go get the dolly.

I really don't think these pics do the wind justice

http://scshop.com/~mochachai/storm/storm.html

i'm instensity sail 1394 in pics

oh i forgot... anybody have tips for heavyweather straight downwind? i tried sheeting in while going downwind, but it made me extremely unbalanced, and sheeted out gave me too much power

ok, dont go straight downiwind first. let off your vang but then put on just enough so the boom isnt flying into the air and causing the sail to form a "taco" shape. also let dont have the sail all the way out and dont bring your centerboard all the way . i think this is right, correct me if im wrong

markhamlin said:
oh i forgot... anybody have tips for heavyweather straight downwind? i tried sheeting in while going downwind, but it made me extremely unbalanced, and sheeted out gave me too much power

Read this article by Steve Cockerill. Includes video clips.

you do not want your sail past 90 degrees. let some vang off to take the bananna shape out of the boom. take off all cunningham and however much outhaul u wish. not too much tho. u want to raise the board a bit. having the board to far down is actully a problem going downwind in breeze. have ur strap nice and tight so you are locked to the boat and can adjust weight to flatten at any time. when u feel like a death roll is comming jump to flatten and pull in on the sail to help. sailing downwind you dont want to use your rudder to much because it acts as a break try and use the heel of the boat to steer.

i hope this helps a bit

markhamlin said:
so I went sailing, for maybe 30 minutes. there were 4 or 5 other lasers out in radials racing inside the harbor because the bay was too strong to go into.

I really don't think these pics do the wind justice

http://scshop.com/~mochachai/storm/storm.html

i'm instensity sail 1394 in pics

Do see some whitecaps (which means the wind was probably at least 15 mph in that area); can understand why you had trouble as a light weight. Keep up the good work.

like I said, the pics don't do the wind justice. I felt totally defeated because of my insane capsize and rolls where as the competitive lasers were doing fine in that wind. I'll just blame my lack of vang controls (which I plan to fix asap)... Is Ben on this forum? (if you are, you'll know who you are)

the upgraded controls make a world of a differance. they let you compete when the older ones would have had you long done. alot of big wind sailing is technique and fitness. learning to fell what the boat is wanting to do. being able to hike out hard for long periods of time. and work the waves. with time in big wind you will find yourself making good improvments. the your weight does play a big role but for me at least ( i sail a full rig in a good breeze soemtimes and weigh 150) i am able to keep up on the upwinds but gain alot of ground and do my passing on the downwinds.

Back