Sailing essay

mosheva

I had to write this essay for English, so i thought i would share a paragraph about sailing, its really cool.

" He was sailing over a boundless expanse of sea, with a blood-red sky above and the angry waters, lashed into fury beneath, boiling and eddying up, on every side. There was another boat before them, toiling and labouring in the howling storm: her canvas" -Charles Dickens
In a unique blend of muscle, instinct and nature, sailing is one of the most intense sports known to man. As the wind catches the sail, the muscles strain in the human arm to keep the sail in. Grasping and pulling the rope, fighting gravity and wind for a simple increase in speed. As the wind pushes and the sailor pulls the boat starts to keel. The farther the boat keels the more the sailor has to lean out (hike out) to blancethe force of the wind on the sail. But the wind is to strong. The mast of the small sailboat (laser) is now horazontilly above the water, running parralell into the vast expanse of the sea. As the sunset shines onto the calm waters of the lake, the colors splash onto the sail in vast arrays of yellows, reds and oranges. Muscles and tendons burning now like the colors of the sail the sailor is unable to hold, nor the wind. Splash! the sensation of brisk water flows over the sailor and extinguashes the fiery, ancient colors of the sun on the sail.

-sorry for the spelling.

Please tell me u like it, i took it from my own exepriance on my laser.

I like it! I agree with the spelling comment. The boat "heels" not "keels"... But I like how it gives people (nonsailors, I bet) the idea of what sailing's really about. Not the nauseating stereotye of a "sailboat ride!"

Back