sailing big angles?

onetwoMeny

so i kinda feel stupid but i was reading in Ben Ainslie's, "Laser campaign manual", it mentioned sailing big angels and im not sure what he is talking about here can anyone fill me in please.

I haven't read the book, but I associate "big angles" with sailing a bit low upwind and/or high downwind (your tack and gybe angles are "big").

Cheers,

Geoff S.

i think he's talkin about sailing big angles downwind, running by the Lee and broad reaching so as theirs always alot of power in the rig so u go fast and can catch waves. This is beacause dead downwind in a laser is slow and tends to be less stable.
L

in think its on page 54, first paragraph.

"sailing a laser fast downwind is an art. there is no right or wrong way to sail down wind and many different techniques seems to be as fast as each other."

thnx for the advice... so in other terms sailing bigger angles is comming out lower when tacking to build up more power i the sails and when gybing you come out higher to the wind, for more power.

thnx buds, i think i got this.

Yeah I've read Ainslie's book about 50,000,000,000,000 times. It's a work of art in the fact that until you've done what he describes you can't understand what he's saying. Like it's written in code. But then he is a sailor and not a teacher.

Having said that i did learn to roll tack by watching his video footage.

I recommend the interviews in the back of The Complete Book of Laser Sailing, by Bill Tillman if you want a book that "teaches". Ed Baird and Luther Carpenter are genius at packing a huge amount of easily translatable method into a short paragraph. Those two interviews catapulted my knowledge of laser sailing like nothing else.

I recommend the interviews in the back of The Complete Book of Laser Sailing, by Bill Tillman if you want a book that "teaches". Ed Baird and Luther Carpenter are genius at packing a huge amount of easily translatable method into a short paragraph. Those two interviews catapulted my knowledge of laser sailing like nothing else.

Actually "The Complete Book of Laser Sailing" is by Dick Tillman. The book was updated in 2005 and and I believe that it still has those interviews (I can't find my copy to verify), see http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Laser-Sailing/dp/0071452192/ref=sr_1_1/103-1179009-4563838?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177585281&sr=1-1

Yeah my one says published in 2000. The interviews are with:

Hans Fogh

Peter Commette

Danielle and John Myrdal

Ed Baird

Tom Lihan

Terry Neilson

John Bertrand

Lainie Pardey

Dave Olsen

Ed Adams

Luther Carpenter

When I was a kid back in Auckland, NZ, I had a book called "Laser racing for the 90's".
I think it was a Tillman book, does anyone know whether the book being talked about here is the same book, just updated for the 2000's? I suspect its the same but with added interviews and the new XD systems?

In the Ainslie book, the angles he refers to on p54 are exactly as mentioned earlier, relating to alternating between broad reaching and sailing by the lee, using the course changes to gain that little extra pump out of the rig. He also mentions using very little kicker downwind, which is always a good idea.

When I was a kid back in Auckland, NZ, I had a book called "Laser racing for the 90's".
I think it was a Tillman book, does anyone know whether the book being talked about here is the same book, just updated for the 2000's? I suspect its the same but with added interviews and the new XD systems?

Yes, that is an older version of Dick Tillman's book.

Back