Sail wrinkles

Russell

Hi All

Can anyone advise me how to trim my sail to get rid of the wrinkles running from the peak down past the end of the top batten. I attach a picture.

The wrinkles don't look too bad in the picture but they are quite deep and I'm sure they must ruin the airflow - especially in light winds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Russell

Attachments

• creases.jpg
    creases.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 115
Have you taped up the collar on the upper mast where it fits into the lower mast? You'll want to wrap it with 1 or 2 layers of packing tape so it will fit snug. I believe if it's loose, it can bend at a funny angle and create patterns like that.

In light winds, aren't you a lot looser on the sail shape?

Those wrinkles should be taken out by faster air, which I'm assuming you've set the sail for in that picture.

Just eyeballing the cunningham...May be wrong.

Might just be old-sail-itis

Thanks for those suggestions.

At the moment the mast isn't taped as I broke the upper mast a few weeks ago and haven't got round to taping the new one. I'll try it and see if it makes things any better but the wrinkles were there with the old mast too.

I can't remember how the sail was set on the day the picture was taken, but looking at the picture I'd be amazed if there was any cunningham on at all. I normally only pull it enough to get the rope in the cleat unless I'm worried about going for a swim.

You're right that strong winds make a difference but I still don't see how to set it for light winds.

Maybe I'll try and borrow a newer sail and see if that makes a difference.

Russell

Yesterday, out on the local lake, my sail looked similar to the one shown in Russell's first post; an almost vertical crease from the top to the first batten. Winds were around 10 mph. But here is the issue:
The sail is sleeved. If the upper mast rotates with respect to the lower mast, won't the sail stay in place? Or will the top of the sail 'stick' to the upper mast, which is what torrid's response implies....

Please clarify because I am confused :confused:

The head of the sail definitely sticks to the upper mast. You have to be careful to slide the sleeve on perfectly straight. I do it by having the gooseneck face the ground. Then the sail slides on like it "wants to," and the top of it is not all twisted. No way to get that twist and wrinkles out without starting over.

The head of the sail definitely sticks to the upper mast. You have to be careful to slide the sleeve on perfectly straight. I do it by having the gooseneck face the ground. Then the sail slides on like it "wants to," and the top of it is not all twisted. No way to get that twist and wrinkles out without starting over.

Thanks; from now on I will pay more attention to the process of sliding the sail on the mast.

I take care when sliding the sail on, and haven't noticed the wrinkle issue, but in reading this post I realize that I seldom take my mast apart, so why not just tape the joint? It is already shimmed with the HD plastic tape on the inside.

In fact, the only time it comes apart is when I don't want it to. Like when I'm removing the sail or maneuvering around the pier.

Thanks!

Back