sail storage

frankbarbehenn

I am new to the sunfish. In storing outside, we use covers for our two sunfish. But not sure how to best store the sails. Do we get PCV pipe to house on trailer and put sails in that to protect from rain? I saw that idea somewhere. Or do we store on top of the boat with cover? The cover "leaks" water to the sails however and am concerned about mold growth over time. Please advise.

If you have the space, you can put the spars together with the sail loose. Hang the spars level from the ceiling using hooks or wire at the ends. I use an S hook and hook the gooseneck to that, then use a large loop of ordinary coated electrical wire for the two ends of the two spars. You can then drape the sail as you wish over the spars. This keeps the sail unwrapped and dry.

Fred

Any system that keeps them dry, clean and out of the sun, and is practical and convenient. Your PVC pipe idea sounds good, and you can cap one end and glue on a screwable cap for the other.

Zeppo, I have thought about doing exactly that, my concern is condensation inside the tube due to temp changes. it is very humid here in NC. Have you or others had good results with closed tubes? Thanks, Winever.

Vent holes are the only solution, you will need to consider that rain may get in along with various rodents. Ventilation is the best cure for humidity though. I still like the PVC idea, the mildew problem exists with folded sails that are stored in nylon sail bags, and wet sails that are simply stuffed below in an un ventilated boat.

Back