Sail rings?

btsunfish

Hi,
I bought a 1972 Fish with the sail attached to the spars using rings. The sail is quite grungy and I need to remove it for cleaning. However, I can't get the sail rings off.
1. How do you get them off ?!?
2. How many times can you clip/unclip these things?

By the way...
I'm planning to possibly sail in the Danvers River, a saltwater tidal river. If I wash the boat off, do I need anti-fouling paint? How much of a wash would it need, just a spray with the hose or a real hard washing with a sponge and soap?
Thanks,
Brian

I can't get the sail rings off

Here's a cool tool ( http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=4930 )

Rings in good shape can be reused several times. Given the age it might be a good idea to just get new rings. Around $20 a bag from the Sunfish dealer.

You can wash your sail by laying it out flat ( spars attached ) and scrubbing it with a soft brush and mild soap. DO NOT wash it in a washing machine !!!!

do I need anti-fouling paint

No - just a fresh water rinse and a periodic wash & wax.

I like to tie my own using 1/16 line instead of messing around with clips. I know that some don't mind them, but I've always thought they were a pain to deal with!

Some people use a lighter to heat set their knots so they don't blow out in big winds ...

By the way...
I'm planning to possibly sail in the Danvers River, a saltwater tidal river. If I wash the boat off, do I need anti-fouling paint? How much of a wash would it need, just a spray with the hose or a real hard washing with a sponge and soap?
Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
Just leave you rig up after sailing and hose it off real good with fresh water. It will dry much faster if it's up. Never put it away wet. Make sure you really rinse the gooseneck fitting each time. That is a major corrosion point when sailing in salt water!!

Brian,
Make sure you really rinse the gooseneck fitting each time. That is a major corrosion point when sailing in salt water!!

Good advice there, just found an issue on one of my boats (doesn't everyone have 2). What do you use to help slow the corrosion? Thanks, Winever.

BTW Gail, what are you using to tie the sail? Where did you get it? Thanks, Mike.

Hi,

Bottom paint is for big boats that have to stay in the water. Sunfishes are "dry sailed" meaning you take them out every time. Spray it down. Don't let anything like seaweed dry onto it. Wash it with soap occasionally. Wash and wax at he beginning of the season.

A tool is better, but, if you don't have one you can just grab one of the ring tabs with a pair of pliers and twist. It should come right off.

A tool is better, but, if you don't have one you can just grab one of the ring tabs with a pair of pliers and twist. It should come right off.

I use these smooth tip pliers. They don't chew up the ends of the sail rings.

MacMiniWirelessN185.jpg

The home-made sail clip removal tool posted earlier in this thread is still IMHO the best approach so far.

The original link reference appears to have been lost during the Forum's remodeling so here it is again.

http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=28265

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I've used these. For pure speed, they can't be beat, but they do tend to break rings.

Speaking of rings. The old style is no longer available. Only these new white ones. Which look funny if you don't change them all.

Back