Sail replacement

Go Blue

Have a deposit on a Laser from the World competition recently. I have been reading some threads about the life expectancy/quality of the Laser sail. Should I seriously consider replacing the sail from the use it has received during the worlds? Hard to believe it would have taken that much punishment.

Michael

No way.

If your club racing and a very good sailor replace it when it feels sorta like a old shirt, not crisp at all.

Or if your me replace it when its so old torn and dirty that people laugh at you at races.

Have a deposit on a Laser from the World competition recently. I have been reading some threads about the life expectancy/quality of the Laser sail. Should I seriously consider replacing the sail from the use it has received during the worlds? Hard to believe it would have taken that much punishment.

Michael

Well...Every day at Worlds was, say, from 11:00 am - 6:00 pm.

The days they raced were all pretty breezy.

Still hard to believe?

But no, I still wouldn't replace it.

Hello:

Wait till the winter months to pick up a good nearly 'unused' sail at a good price. I did and have three sails now. One for practice, second for backup, and the third one, for racing.

Paid $ 300.00 for all three. Well worth the wait. Intensity makes a good sail for nearly all conditions. They offer a great price during the winter months when sales are slower.

Best of luck,

Kris

Michael

i bought an event boat 2 years ago. it came with a new, unused sail. check the offer, i think these come with new sails too. only the hull will have been "used". it should be new sail and spars.

You get to pick - you can either have new top-and-bottom boat covers, or a new-folded-never-used hyde sail.

Actually my dealer discounted based on whether you took a dolly, new sail etc. I took the laser and dolly for $4690. The new sail would be another $300. They include a bag for the rudder/tiller and a Ronstan race watch.

Michael

Or if your me replace it when its so old torn and dirty that people laugh at you at races.

I got 27 years out of my first Laser sail and it was a rental boat for several years before I got it !! :eek:

I keep meaning to throw it out but it's so nice and soft that it would make an ideal bedsheet or sleeping bag.

I'd never seen a new sail before so when I bought one a couple of years ago I was really shocked when I spread it out. Crisp doesn't even begin to describe it.

Those Intensity sails rock - that's what I bought and it was an incredible value and came with lots of extras.

Back