Sail paint?

Ov Bob

So Im new to sailing, but having too much fun. Got my hull shining like new, and was wondering if the old sail I got from a friend (faded and worn) can be painted? (airbrush) Just for fun, spruce it up a bit, a little bling.
Any thoughts?

Sail paint is not something that is in big demand by the sailing community at large so you will have to improvise.

You'd need something to soak into the sail, and since sails are made from material designed to prevent such a thing, you'll be challenged. But you could always experiement. Magic markers will work, but they are not suited to coloring broad swathes of things.

What material are the factory sunfish sales made of ? Nylon, Dacron,? The one I wanna paint is kinda old and blown out, so Im not really concerned about performance, but I dont want to try any paint that might weaken or melt it or anything. Just want to make a shabby old sail a little more fun till I replace It.

I saw a vinyl paint at a West Marine this past week. It has a primer that takes the gloss off the vinyl fabric, then a finish spray color. I wonder if it would work on dacron? It was called Magic something.

Back