Sail Head

hydroslyder

The other day when I trimmed in my sail, the webbing patch at the head of the sail above the sleeve tore, when I took the sail down, I realized that the patch was dry rotted, the sail is still in decent condition, is there anyway to replace this patch?

Thanks

yes there is take it to you local sail maker and tell them to replace the full head outer casing not just the strap over the top of it otherwise it will break again

cheers

Alloy said:
yes there is take it to you local sail maker and tell them to replace the full head outer casing not just the strap over the top of it otherwise it will break again

cheers

Please explain why the outer layer of the mast sleeve and head patch has to be replaced if just the webbing rotted ?

hydroslyder said:
The other day when I trimmed in my sail, the webbing patch at the head of the sail above the sleeve tore, when I took the sail down, I realized that the patch was dry rotted, the sail is still in decent condition, is there anyway to replace this patch?

Thanks
Check the following, in addition a canvas/awning shop would be able to fix it.
Prev thread on webbing repair/replacement

The reason the webbing rots before the sail is that webbing is nylon, the sail is dacron. Nylon breaks down much faster when exposed to UV

ok for starters if u replace just the webbign on top the whole thing will be much weaker than if u actulla replaced the whole outer part of the head, secondly it doesn't look as bad (I'm an rq sailor so i get some mud on it) i actually had instances where i had this happen to me twice once during the last day of the reggataa and i lost to 6th place becuase of it. my advice is to get the whole outer head replaced, so the the rig is not ot of balance and also for strength.

hope that helps

Back