sail grommet repair?

baldessariclan

I was out sailing last weekend in some higher winds (15-20, 25 mph gusts), and when got back noticed that one of the grommets had come out of it's hole on the lower edge of the sail. This is an older sail, but in pretty good condition otherwise. Anybody have experience / advice on how to repair or replace these?

You can buy a grommet repair kit such as this one
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T7VZ"]Amazon.com: General Tools 1/2-Inch Solid Brass Grommet Kit No. 1260-4: Home Improvement[/ame]

I have corrodded grommets in one of my sails which need replacing. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get the grommets out without trashing the sail?

Ok, I found grommet repair kits at Ace Hardware for about $10. I got the kit for 1/4" brass grommets, which match the little ones alone the sides of the sail. The corners look to have the slightly larger 3/8" grommets. I will try to give a report of how it all works out when I get the time to attempt installation.

As for getting old ones off, I would think that carefully working up an edge of the grommet (w/ dull knife or thin flat blade screwdriver?) and then carefully bending the flange up further (w/ small pliers?) all around, until you could pull it through the hole w/out ripping the sail material, would be the best bet.

Ok, grommet repair kit from Ace Hardware was relatively easy to use and worked fine. New grommets look a little different than the originals, but same overall diameters and etc. These are 100% brass, like the originals. Repaired grommets held up fine in heavy winds last weekend.

I was also able to remove one of the old grommets (that hadn't torn out) without damaging the sail. Carefully pried up the edge with an old butter knife, and then continued to bend up the flange with a pair of needle nose pliers, working around until I could remove the grommet from the hole in the sail. Not too hard.

Back