Sail Flaking or Rolling

SailorT

I want to keep my new sail in the best racing shape possible. So I'm considering buying a long sausage bag that allows me stow and car top my mast with my sail rolled up on on. I was wondering if rolling the sail up on the mast and stowing it that way would be better than taking it off the mast and flaking (folding) it all the time. Any suggestions on the best method to store and transport a sail to keep it in the best racing shape the longest.

Attach a 10'x6" pvc pipe with screw-cap ends with a breathing hole drill in each cap to your trailer. Roll the sail onto a 9'6"x2" pvc pipem and stow the sail in the tube. It makes rolling and storing the sail for transport a snap.

odinsvitskjaldr said:
Attach a 10'x6" pvc pipe with screw-cap ends with a breathing hole drill in each cap to your trailer. Roll the sail onto a 9'6"x2" pvc pipem and stow the sail in the tube. It makes rolling and storing the sail for transport a snap.
So you roll the tall way, from the luff? Is there a curve built into the luff that makes it wrinkle when you do that?

I've seen a set-up where you roll onto a tube from the foot, making it a much shorter thing to put on the trailer. Dorsal Gear makes a full roll sailbag for this that looks good. Any problems with rolling from the foot?

http://www.dorsalgear.com/sailbags.htm

Thanks,
Mike

i used to roll my sail but i realized that if you flake your sail and your bldebag is big enough you can but your sail in your bag which makes things alot easier

Don't leave the sail on the mast. Roll it from the top to the bottom, lining the sail up at the leech. You can even leave the battens in that way, if you are not too worried about the elastic wearing out. If you want the end-result half the size you can choose to fold the whole sail once over the whole length (top to bottom) before you roll it. However, every fold in the sail is one too many, as it disturbs the flow of the air (especially in light air) and (as Buddy Melges points out) it makes the sail smaller.
So roll it!

Back