Sail cleaning

I have just purchased a used Bora Bora sail that needs cleaning. Overall it is a bit dingy so I think a general wash will take care of that. There are, however, several spots and stains on the panels that might take a stronger cleaner to get out. As these are colored panels I know I need to be careful. Anyone have suggestions for me? (Both for the general cleaning and the spots)

Thanks!:)

Thanks, Dan. I reviewed the posts but note they are talking about white sails and my sail has colored panels.

I might try a sailmaker to see what they say.

I thought since polyester replaced nylon as the standard colors weren't a special case. Be interested to hear if you find out different.

I've heard that as a homeopathic remedy, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Woolite simply mild soap + lanolin. Always wondered what the sail makers say about the affect of lanolin on the sailcloth's resin coating.

I don't know what's in Woolite but that is a tip from the staff at PT Sails. Saw it somewhere on the web. Haven't used it myself yet.

Fred

I decided to try the Woolite and vinegar. I mixed up 2 tablespoons of Woolite and 1.5 cups of white vinegar and bought an inexpensive cotton mop to apply it with. I soaked the sail (Sunfish Bora Bora) in a washtub in cold water using standard dish soap for about an hour. I then spread out a large blue tarp on my back deck and placed the sail on it. After mopping both sides of the sail with the Woolite solution I let it soak for another 30 minutes or so. I then rinsed it thoroughy with a hose and hung it out to dry.

Results: Excellent! I liked it so well I washed another sail I had.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Back