sail care question

rtdanforth

Is it OK to store the sail (after removing the battens) by rolling it up on the mast? I would then store the mast away from the elements.

Thanks for your advice.

It will work, but it's not the best way. You can purchase a 9.5 foot PBC tube from any local hardware store and roll your sail around that (from head to foot, or foot to head, your choice). This is the preferred method of rolling sails around here.

If that's just a practice sail, or an old one, around the mast is alright but if it's a new sail or the one you use for racing, I'd definetly go get a plastic tube ;)

if you roll the sail around the mast, the mast will be prone to corrosion if the sail has any moisture on it

ben ainslie just rolls it on itself I believe and then puts it into his Rooster bag which allows it to be rolled with no flakes. What do you guys think about that?

I've seen a picture of this and it takes two people to roll it up, impossible by yourself, and more impossible in any wind. Using a PVC tube with the clew and tack bungied to the ends of the tube is much easier. The sail sould optimally be dry though... It can then be slipped into a larger tube for protection, maybe with some breather holes.

Newbee said:
I've seen a picture of this and it takes two people to roll it up, impossible by yourself, and more impossible in any wind. Using a PVC tube with the clew and tack bungied to the ends of the tube is much easier. The sail sould optimally be dry though... It can then be slipped into a larger tube for protection, maybe with some breather holes.

I roll my sail onto itself everytime with no help from others, its nice but not necessary. Just spread the thing out and start rolling....

Newbee said:
I've seen a picture of this and it takes two people to roll it up, impossible by yourself, and more impossible in any wind.

Nonsense, it's easy to roll by yourself. Just start at the head and roll along the leech, that way the battens stay parallel, then slip it in a rooster bag - 2 minutes max.

I think the reference to this being a two-person job was in regard to rolling the sail on the mast, not to rolling the sail generally. Rolling it head to foot isn't difficult, but I can imagine rolling it on the mast might be a bit awkward. You would also need to take the battens out, obviously.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've been wondering the same thing. I always roll my sail around the mast for multi-day regattas & events. It's pretty easy to do by myself & it's alot easier than completely derigging then rigging the next morning. I've never noticed any problems.

Back