Rustoleum Topside

upnorthduck

I need to repaint the bottom of a sunfish. It will be sanded and prepared well. I am leaning toward Rustoleum Topside. The boat is stored out of the water during the season, but is exposed to sun and on some days is in the water for 5-6 hours being sailed. Rustoleum Topside label says "Use above the waterline only." Can anyone speak to their experience using this product on the bottom of the boat? Any problems?

I painted two 18-foot hulls with a "topside" paint. (A catamaran, a big job). It wasn't Rustoleum, but some other well-known brand ($20 a quart), with the same "hours" caution. The catamaran spent even less time in the water than yours will, but produced both small and huge blisters within a year. :( Since then, I've used regular Rustoleum gloss on my Sunfish—after sanding. It doesn't cover scratches very well, and is on the soft side to deter future scratches, but it's still adhering and glossy after two years. (No blisters). :) I filled previous scratches with auto-body spot-putty, and the scratches are still invisible!

'Not to say there aren't better paints for the hull than Rustoleum, just sharing my experience.

Attachments

• GEDC0018-002.JPG
    GEDC0018-002.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 37
I have used it and like it, it is a good economy paint. You might end up needing 2 coats, depending on base color/primer. Other paints I like are Pettit Easypoxy and Interlux Brightside. I have sprayed Rustoleum also from a rattle can, and it looks nice but is very thin, easy to touch up, great price.

Have fun!

Not on the one boat I have, used 2-3 times a year for a few hours over the last 4 years. Try it, make sure you prep and clean area per instructions.

Back