Rule 42 good or bad?

Do you think rule 42 is good or bad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Murphs said:
lol, stops certain RQYS sailors from double pumping on reaches at the youth worlds

w/o rule 42 the class would get restricted only the VERY fit sailors who are capable of doing crunches for entire upwind legs, dramatic pumping and ooching, downwind/reaches. Rule 42 is good because it helps to keep the playing field more even and keep "average/weekend warrior types" in the class.

Whether rule 42 as written is good or too vague is debatable. But you need something in place that says, in effect, "This sport is sailing, If you're looking for propelling the boat with muscle power you'll find that down the hall under "Kayaking" or "crew".

you must have been like the only one to vote no ash? i agree with murphs thinking hehe ;)

ill take a leaf from sevy books "shouldnt this be in the laser politics section? Brad can you plz move this!" .......... nah jokes ;)

Tom said:
ill take a leaf from sevy books "shouldnt this be in the laser politics section? Brad can you plz move this!" .......... nah jokes ;)

You're right! I'm starting to appreciate your sense of humor, too!

Neither me, I´m not a racer. I don´t care about racing rules in the moment, but I don´t like pumping and that all.

i am not too sure on all of the rules... but can anyone post up what EXACTLY it says for rule 42 and not their interpretation?

Mike94 said:
i am not too sure on all of the rules... but can anyone post up what EXACTLY it says for rule 42 and not their interpretation?

frrom The ISAF site

42 PROPULSION
42.1 Basic Rule

Except when permitted in rule 42.3 or 45, a boat shall compete by using only the wind and water to increase, maintain or decrease her speed. Her crew may adjust the trim of sails and hull, and perform other acts of seamanship, but shall not otherwise move their bodies to propel the boat.

42.2 Prohibited Actions

Without limiting the application of rule 42.1, these actions are prohibited:

(a) pumping: repeated fanning of any sail either by trimming and releasing the sail or by vertical or athwartships body movement;

(b) rocking: repeated rolling of the boat, induced either by body movement or adjustment of the sails or centreboard, that does not facilitate steering;

(c) ooching: sudden forward body movement, stopped abruptly;

(d) sculling: repeated movement of the helm not necessary for steering;

(e) repeated tacks or gybes unrelated to changes in the wind or to tactical considerations.

42.3 Exceptions

(a) A boat's crew may move their bodies to exaggerate the rolling that facilitates steering the boat through a tack or a gybe, provided that, just after the tack or gybe is completed, the boat's speed is not greater than it would have been in the absence of the tack or gybe.

(b) Except on a beat to windward, when surfing (rapidly accelerating down the leeward side of a wave) or planing is possible, the boat's crew may pull the sheet and the guy controlling any sail in order to initiate surfing or planing, but only once for each wave or gust of wind.

(c) Any means of propulsion may be used to help a person or another vessel in danger.

(d) To get clear after grounding or colliding with another boat or object, a boat may use force applied by the crew of either boat and any equipment other than a propulsion engine.

I think the rule is a good idea.... But only one pump per wave.... :( On those days with 20 knot winds and huge rolling waves who can help but pump atleast 3 or 4 times.

I think 42 is about right as top sailors can still use their skills in medium winds but it isn't completely a fitness contest. I have thought the rule should be more liberal in stronger winds but now I think it would be too hard to police

In heavy winds there is no point pumping your already going fast enough and on the edge. btw
JacksonAUS, sailor327 where the 2 that voted no
;) y did ya's vote no?

In Mistrals and boards we dropped Rule 42.

The fleet is now much, much smaller because it bloody well HURTS to be anything like competitive. And the full-time sailors and best of the young guys pump straight away from weekenders. The gap in the fleet, from best to slowest, opens up hugely.

Pumping does take skill - butit stuffs up the class and the racing.And when this has been discussed earlier, some twits have assumed they were fit enough to benefit.They wouldn't be. I was fit for a Laser sailor, even by "Cube" standards, but the unlimited pumping in Mistrals is another dimension of pain. Even in strong winds, you'd have to pump if you were winning above club level.

KEEP R 42!

Back