Rudder reassemble?

George Hart

homeless
How do I keep the two washers in place while I slide the rudder in the bracket and keep every thing lined up?

I'm thinking glue the washers to the wood!!

Also how do I clean the bracket an keep it from looking so ruff?

String
Run it from outside to in then thread on a washer through the rudder, then another washer and out the other side.
Pull the ends as you push the rudder in, when it gets close enough to lined up, grab a pencil and finish it off as you slide the bolt in.
Takes longer to type it then do it

I just position one plastic washer, slide the rudder cheek over, then slide the second one in place with a thin flat head screwdriver, then run the bolt thru. I never have an issue with this method. I don't like the tape because the plastic washer is there to help with the kick up of the blade and protect the blade which the tape would have the opposite effect.

Reactions: tag
Ok I was over thinking the project went together very easily. Another question is the metal bracket suppose to be panted?

I laways refinish the tiller straps and aluminum rudder cheeks. I sand them first, then apply aluminum primer and then paint black with epoxy paint. I also sell 1/4" thick aluminum tiller straps that are black anodized if you want to go that route.

I would check the straps for wear. They should be straight across the bottom not, notched. This keeps the tiller off the deck. My old non painted ones were also much thinner than the newer painted ones.

Back