Rudder problem. There must be a better way

bng

My rudder cleat is located all the way toward the stern of the rudder handle.
In order to tie off the line for the rudder when you get under way you have to lean all the way back and tie it off. Is there a better way to tie off that line. Maybe a different tie type of cleat.
Thanks'
Brian

bng said:
My rudder cleat is located all the way toward the stern of the rudder handle.
In order to tie off the line for the rudder when you get under way you have to lean all the way back and tie it off. Is there a better way to tie off that line. Maybe a different tie type of cleat.
Thanks'
Brian

My cleat is about half way up on the tiller, so it's not a stretch. Maybe you can move your cleat.

Merrily

Plan B is to perminantley fix your rudder in a downwards (and optimal*) position by tightening the bolt hard, which should be oversized.

Then all you do (on the ramp) is connect in your tiller to the rudder stock, tie the uphaul tight (all this effectively does now is hold the tiller in tight), and feed your t/extension & tiller under the traveller till the rudder itself is under the aft traveller. When in the water pull the rudder assembly back a bit and slot in the gudgeons.

My rudder would always come up a bit plus my tiller would work loose if I tried otherwise. Now I am trouble free...!!! (just don't whack your rudder launching / coming back!!)

* trailing / upper edge of rudder can be parallel with rudder stock - i had to do a bit of filing to achieve this.

I'm having some trouble with my rudder/tiller as well. The rudder assembly is older so no problems with it popping up on its own but my carbon tiller won't stay in the rudder head. It is a acme tiller and the cleat or the lines I am using are terrible, I can't find anything that will hold and not allow the tiller to work loose. There is a hole in the top of the rudder head that allows a pin to be put in but my tiller doesn't have a hole and I'd be worried about drilling into the carbon.

Only solution I have found it a totally ridiculous way of tieing off the line, should be a better way I'd think.

Back