Rudder is on its last legs

jakeeper

jakeeper
I have a crack that runs "grain-wise" through 1/3 of my rudder just aft of the cheek plate and down. Tell me doctor...Give it to me straight... how long do I have? I just bought this boat and intend to cruise, rather than race, with it. Anyone else have this problem? After all of the startup costs of a (new to me) boat I am loath to put down another $250 for a rudder if this one will last some time. Also, are there any fixes or patches that I can do to extend it's lifespan?

Clean out the crack either with coarse sandpaper or by gently running a saw blade through it. Wipe it down with acetone and let it dry. Mix up some epoxy resin and wet out the crack (this is important so that the dry wood wont soak up the resin from the thickened mixture). Before the epoxy dries, mix up enough thickened mixture (each epoxy manufacturer has recommended thickeners) to fill the crack and push it in with a squeegee or gloved finger. You might want to tape a piece of wax paper on the opposite side so the epoxy doesnt just get squished through. When the epoxy is semi hard; clean up with a razor and after it hardens completely; sand it down. As epoxy will break down under sunlight (UV), it is good to keep a coat of varnish on the rudder. Hope this helps.

Back